sw2008 need help with dimensioning

People,

When I have built a part that is a push button for a calculator, the ends are each a 3 point arc connected by two horizontal lines. When I try to dimension the arcs the dimension lines "snap" or use the centerpoint of the arc which lies inside the said button. What I want to dimension is the overall width of the button by selecting each arc, not from centerpoint to centerpoint.

I'm a newb and tried different dimensioning styles with no luck.

Thank you,

-M

Reply to
Max

With the dimension tool active, Shift-click to place the dimension as Min or Max for each arc.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

use tangent arcs and draw a centerline from quadrant to quadrant and dimesion the length of the centerline. If you wish you can also draw a centerline from midpoint to mid point of the the horizontal lines. You can also draw a point coincedent to both centerlines to locate the button if you wish.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Max for each

Ah ha. Great thanks.

Reply to
Max

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't think of something that easy to work around the issue. Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Max

However, when you find yourself creating stuff (centerlines, planes, etc) that doesn't actually generate geometry, then one must question whether there is a better way. In your case, you merely asked about getting the proper dimensions in place. You were given the method to do it on the fly. But for those cases where the dim already exists, you can go to the properties of that dim and tell it to be max, min, or center. It's good to know your options. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

My solution was based on the question , two weeks experience with SW and 4 weeks experience with Inventor. With more experience I would probably come up with a different solution. I like to use combinations of dimensions and constraints that make it easy to change the part later on with the least amount of work.

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

That's the beauty of hanging around here - you get to see and learn all kinds of things. Some you may rather not,,,,, but most stuff is valuable. You answered correctly, and I added something to it. Good job.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany