SWit and SWupBB

Hi all,

and very merry xmas.

SWit - free custom property editor has a new release, 3.11, especially for XP users :-)

SWupBB - PDF Updater, important information, if you're using SW2006 sp2.1 SWupBB is not working due to the problem in SW API, this will be fixed in sp3.0

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks Mark for the update. I played around with SWit a couple of months ago, but I had the problem below. The new version also does this.

Im having problems getting a new number from the number txt file. I didnt modify anything in the default file, kept the 999 starting number.

I get the message

"Error when trying to add a new number to the database".

Any ideas why?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Not enough rights to the file/folder (Windows user account rights)? Or did you save it and used something else (like unicode) than ANSI text as save format (then it will not work)?

Is your file path pointing to the right place? You can check it out with registry editor (Run-regedit), you should find the right path for your file from:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\LehtolaSoftWare\SW], keyname is "DrawingNumberFile"
Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just checked the registry settings, correct path shows (see below). The file is on my local drive, and i am an admin on my machine, so I should have rights to this file.

C:\Program Files\SWit for SolidWorks\drawing_no_database.txt

I also tried resaving the file as ANSI, although I never changed this file before.

Any other suggestions ?

Reply to
SW Monkey

Nothing much, maybe you should try to export settings, uninstall and then re-install. But my guess is that it doesn't help, so can you email your settings (use the export settings tool in side SWit) for me so I could run some tests?

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Am I suppose to setup anything else with the drawing number? Maybe thats what im doing wrong? I read the PDF file, and it says only change the prefix for the number, nothing else. Is this correct?

Reply to
SW Monkey

No, it says that you can change prefix/suffix/formatting, and that you can do from Settings page. Do you mean the settings or the txt file? You can of course use any settings that you can find from the Settings page. You can only change the starting/last number IN txt file and the format should be plain number or number with zeroes at the beginning (9999,

0012000). Please tell me what's you goal, it's much easier to help that way. What you have in your txt file right now and what are the settings for numbering inside SWit?
Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Here is a screenshot of my settings. Sorry I didnt post sooner, back from the holidays.

I left the text file the way it was

999;property1;property2;date;designer;filename
Reply to
SW Monkey

Those settings work for me.

After the first line:

999;property1;property2;date;designer;filename

you should have one empty line (if not press enter at the end of the the first line and save the file as ANSI text). If there's more than one empty lines you have to delete them.

The simplest text file that you can have is (property1 etc. texts are not required, they are there just to tell what's inside the file):

999

So, please check out if your text file has one and only one empty line after the number.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Yep, the file is ok. Like I said, I didnt even modify the file from the zip file I downloaded.

Does this only work with certain versions of SolidWorks? Im using SW

2004.
Reply to
SW Monkey

Then I'm pretty much out of ideas. Can you try it with another pc or SW? Is other stuff working fine (if you use it without the "get new" button)?

That might be the reason, like it's said in the readme.pdf I have really tested it only with 05 and 06...I know that dimension linking is not working with 04 or older versions, but the other stuff..just don't know and don't have a "clean" pc with 04 to test with either.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Read the code again...the problem might also be that for some reason SWit can't open the locker file (locker.txt). This is required when asking the next free drw number. I'll try to change the code a bit tomorrow or asap...

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

changed the code little bit (and fixed couple minor bugs related to forms and their unloading), can you test this for me?

Zip includes only .exe, replace the old one with this one and try...

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks Markku.

Sorry I took so long to reply, I was out of town, just came back today.

I tried the new .exe, and I get a different message when trying to "Get New" number. The message is "Run-time error '13' Type mismatch".

Reply to
SW Monkey

Can you send me your settings (export to .reg) and drawing number file, otherwise this is just guessing what might be wrong. Anyway, while exploring the code I found couple other problems that are fixed in 3.12 (just released).

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Just replacing the .exe of 3.12 didnt work. I uninstalled and installed the lastest version and everything seems to work fine with the number generator. Thanks :)

Reply to
SW Monkey

Hmm, the single .exe was little different from the released one, but nice to hear that it finally worked for you. good to know also that it works with 2004.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola