The Facts On Why Cadkey Is Being Sold

Some interesting comments on how Bob and Karen Bean (Baystate now Cadkey principles) did business:

You won't read this on the Cadkey website.

"The facts: In 1991, Harold Bowers was an inventor, businessman and owner of HLB Technology, Inc., a company specializing in simplifying computer-assisted drawing (CAD). One of his products, named Geodraft, was a separate computer program designed to work with the popular Cadkey CAD program. When activated, the Geodraft program guides the Cadkey user through the arduous and error-prone process of creating "Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing" (GD&T) symbols, which tell the reader of a mechanical drawing how precise a part has to be manufactured to operate correctly. For example, a drawing of a car door handle might specify that it must be three inches long. The GD&T symbol tells the person making the handle how close to three inches the handle actually has to be (e.g., "is 2.999 inches close enough?"). "

"Bowers was not the only one selling Cadkey products, and was not the only one selling GD&T computer programs for use with Cadkey. However, when rival Baystate Technologies began selling a disturbingly familiar-looking GD&T program, Bowers took note. When Baystate priced its products to beat Bowers's prices, Harold Bowers became concerned. When Baystate then used its profits to acquire the makers of Cadkey and terminate Bowers's status as an authorized dealer, Bowers was devastated - he could no longer develop and sell the very products that were the staple of his business."

jon

Reply to
jon_banquer

Have a look at

It basically says that IMSI is buying what is left of Cadkey under a Chapter 11 reorganization brought about by the judgment. I was unable to determine the terms of the judgment. It must have been a doozy to force them into Chapter 11.

There is no discussion of the acquisition on IMSI's website. There is an announcement that IMSI has purchased DesgnCad 3D Max from Upperspace. With IMSI's reputation as a cheapie cheapo CAD source, it doesn't do anything for the long term reputation of Cadkey does it? If you were a VAR associated CadKey you would certainly have cause for concern.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Any intelligent Cadkey VAR with any brains should have known the end was near with a product that was great 10-13 years ago but never really updated except for "improved features". Some of them were so improved (like their parametric thing), I bought Solidworks so I could be rid of it. Cadkey gave me a taste of parametric design in a crappy half-investment, so I wanted the real thing.

Looking at SW2004, it is obvious they are headed down the same path. There aren't really any improvements since SW98 that I could live without, other than comos xpress. Maybe we could get a piping express. A thousand bucks to draw pipes is crazy. SW needs to quit wasting their time with marketing stuff like photoworks and a little more time on bug proofing valuable functions like inplace relations and configurations. How nice would it be to actually be able to design top-down without all the headaches associated with it? I know of no one who needs to produce products for a living that would recommend top-down design.

Reply to
Mike Z.

Mike,

Are you serious or are you just venting here? Although I agree with your statement about the need for speed and bug proofing, SW98 was almost a different product in terms of the geometry it could create. The improvements to lofting, sweeping, filleting, surfacing, assemblies, multi-bodies, drawing (the list goes on and on) since SW98 are of no real value to you?

It is curious that you single out CW Express as the tool most useful and not driven my Marketing hype. IMHO, it is the feature in SW2003 most driven by the Marketing group. Even SW and their VARS tell you it is more of a spell check than a good accurate analysis. A great tool to be sure but primarily placed there to get people a taste of FEA so they will upgrade to CosmosWorks. Quite brilliant marketing, but marketing nonetheless.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Tell us what that is, jb . Tell us a little detail *in your own words* ...

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Reply to
John

I'm sorry that you are not able to accept that what I posted about in the Cadkey Forum turned out to be one hundred percent correct. Based on this post of yours and many other similar ones over the years it's more than evident that you are very angry about the fact that I was / am correct.

By now it should be more than obvious to you that a lot of other people have experienced the exact same problems dealing with Cadkey Corp. that we were experiencing at the time. Have you discovered what web forum this discourse is taking place at and who is participating in this discourse ?

jon

Reply to
jon_banquer

Where did you mention Harold Bowers, copyrights or GD&T? Please post a link ....

Reply to
Cliff Huprich