Re: Wierd Shell Thing

Are you sending your friend the SW part after import or is he doing the import on his own system. What I am really asking is if you are using the same part template as him? Sometimes they get somehow screwed up and can cause errors.

Will the part he made rebuild on your machine?

JJ

Hello All, > > OK, I've got a wierd shell problem. > > I export a model out of Rhino, using IGES, and import into SW. > OK everythings great so far, but when I try to shell it to a .040" wall, it > won't shell, don't worry that's not the wierd part. > The wierd part is that my fellow employee CAN shell it at .040". > > So....My question is, what in my SW settings would not let me shell what my > friend can shell??? > > TIA, > Muggs > >
Reply to
JJ

Yes, different part templates, and yes his part will rebuild on mine.

Tomorrow I'll take his part template and import the IGES, and start to change things until I can get it to fail.

Thanks, any other thoughts? Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

You have, of course, checked that both of you guys are on the same service pack, right?

Check tools>options>system options and see if you both have 'verification on rebuild' checked (first item in the list). Remember, if he has it off, THAT IS NOT A WORKAROUND for you; it just means there is a problem that isn't getting caught by SW's streamlined error checking... the problem will pop up late on, and you will be hosed.

Have you diagnosed where the shell problem is? That might help out a lot. The best, most certain way to be sure about the problem area is to start cutting away suspicious areas on the model until you get something that does shell. Minimum radius of curvature is almost never the problem - lately for me, when shells fail the number one source of problems is bad joints between faces, especially when three or more faces meet at a single point. Thats often easy to fix by trimming away the area around the joint and replacing it all with a surface fill.

Good luck, and remember, if all else fails, you can usually make the shell manually in an hour or less.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

I think that corrupted part templates account for more problems than we realize. I just wonder how they get corrupted. I'd be interested to know what your VAR says if you find out it is the template.

Reply to
JJ

OK, it's not the part template either!

I saved his file as a new part template after deleating his imported model, and then using that part template I imported the same IGES file and tried to shell with no joy.

So I guess I've determinded that it's the way that the two SW computers are importing that is the difference. Is there a way, and how would I go about finding out how SW imorts an IGES file??? I know when I SaveAs, I can go to options and chnge things there; are those settings what is used to import as well??? I guess that's where I'll start.

Thanks for any thoughts, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

are you both using the same UNITS? Im not sure SW even allows features of .04 MM ...

Reply to
rocheey