The June PhotoWorks Contest Winner

The June PhotoWorks contest winner has been chosen. It was a close vote but Jan Herud managed to take the lead late in the voting week. Jan is the contests first repeat winner having won both the May and June contest. Will Jan be able to make July a 3-peat?

If you'd like to enter the July contest visit

to download the model.

Thanks to all those who entered and voted.

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Rob,

Thanks for posting this. I voted for 2nd place mainly because of the defocused second speaker, but there were things about Jan's rendering that I liked very much. The biggest thing was the use of the material for the grill. A couple months back when you did the cell phone rendering contest, I did a lampshade, and was wondering how to get a partially transparent lampshade. The material Jan used here achieves the effect I was looking for. I think I saw something like this from something Mark Matthews did too, where the material is made up of tiny alternating squares of transparent and opaque material. When these are small enough they kind of look like a translucent woven material, instead of translucent sheet plastic material.

Thanks for this, this is a key thing for me to learn. Next is a really good illumination technique to make something like real fire.

Rob Rodriguez wrote:

Reply to
matt

I'll be doing a podcast for Ben Eadie's site very soon (hopefully this week) which will cover some indirect illumination stuff. This may help you out with some image based lighting.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

I too would love to know how to achieve this effect, it looks stunning. I often have to do these types of materials and have never found a convincing/quick way to do it. Perhaps Jan is reading this and would care to elaborate a little? I would appreciate it.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Matt,

I agree with you. (but I didn't get a chance to vote). Show> Rob,

Reply to
TOP