Thread interference

This has probably been discussed before, but I was too lazy to go to google to search the old threads.

If using the hole wizard to put in tapped holes the actual geometry that is represented is the minor diameter of the threads (cosmetic thread show the major dia.). When you put a Toolbox created screw (or any hardware) into the hole the screw represents the major diameter of the threads. This causes an obvious interference.

How are people managing interference checking if you have a lot of fasteners in your assembly? Do you actually have to look at each interference listed to determine whether it is a hardware interference or a real-deal design interference problem. TIA for any info you can share.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff N

Yep, been discussed before...

Yep, looking at each interference in the list is just about the only way to "filter" out your fastener interferences.

I think someone here once mentioned they made a macro that would do an interference detection and then filter the results automatically to eliminate known fastener interference pairs.

Reply to
Arlin

I put hardware that is subject to this kind of "acceptable" interference into an assembly folder. If you suppress the folder, none of the included items will show in an interference detection listing.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Respectfully, you should take the time to search. There was an extensive discussion about a week ago. I am too lazy to rehash it for you. JJ

Reply to
JJ

Jeff,

I make a copy of all fasteners and drill out the bolts. I only use these bolts.

I do this because I always add fasteners at the lowest sub-assembly level possible. That way as I add sub-assemblies to my main assembly everything is already fastened. This prevents me from having to add 1500+ fasteners later.

I haven't tried the filter them out trick. It does sound promising.

Tom Chasteen

Reply to
Tom Chasteen

Jeff,

That should read drill out the NUTS, not the bolts.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Chasteen

Art,

That's a great idea, with one issue I can envision though. If you have multiple subassemblies several levels deep you'd have to make configurations in each subassembly to suppress out the hardware. That could be pretty intensive managing all the configurations being referenced. I guess the real catch 22 is that you don't want typical bolt "thread"/mating "thread" interference to show up but you would want other fastener interference to be recognized. I'll look up the 'old' thread regarding this topic.

Dreaming: real thread modeling that somehow isn't super resource intensive. Smart mates would automatically mate the real threads as well (no more underconstrained fasteners!).....ah maybe one day. Hey, wait. Maybe SolidWorks could somehow incorporate cosmetic threads to ignore interference.

Reply to
Jeff N

Use the advanced selection filter in the configuration manager to hide all the non-fasteners. Then select the fasteners and suppress them.