00-90 or 000-120 in Hole Wizard

I'm using SW2004 and the hole wizard stops at 0-80 screw sizes, and I can't even figure out how to fake it out to add 00-90 or 000-120 screw sizes. Anyone have a work around?

Thanks

Reply to
pope

I have the same issue as I use #00-90 once in a while...My workaround was just to insert the 0-80 threaded hole, then modify the sketch to the correct dims, then rename the feature in the tree....If I'm not mistaken, I believe people with Toolbox have these sizes - I could be wrong though...Only once have had to use a #000 screw though....The only reason I can figure out why SWX left off there is because that's where ANSI and the Machinist's Handbook left off :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

BTW - After some more thinking, you can't rename the traditional right click way...You have to right click/properties & rename, modify your sketch to the correct dims, modify the thread diameter. Once it's set, if you use it often you can drag and drop it into the design library, and use it from there all the time...

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. The thing is, when I'm in hole wizard on the "Tap" tab, I can choose the tap drill size (It would be a #62 for a

00-90), but you can't tell it what the Major Diameter of the screw is. So even if I choose a #62 tap drill and call it a 00-90, it still thinks the major diamter is the same as a 0-80 and so it doesn't display correctly. Nowhere can I find how to modify the thread diameter like you suggest. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Reply to
pope

Oh I think you mean to edit the sketch. Ok, that worked, I guess I hadn't thought of going into the sketch and still having it savable. Thanks that worked.

Reply to
pope

Yea, I probably should have 'splained it a little better - I meant that you use the hole wizard and dump in the 00-80 tapped hole. After exiting, go to your tree and expand. It should have 3 subs (sketch, cosmetic thread, and a

3d sketch). Then modify the sketch to the minor dia you want, modify the cosmetic to the correct major dia and that'll fix it. You can then right click/properties on the hole feature, where you can modify the name & description to what you want. If you use it often, drag the new feature to the design library where it'll be a drag & drop feature from now on.

That should make a little bit cleaner "how to" than before...Yesterday was a rough day :)

Scott

Reply to
Scott MacIntyre

Thanks a ton, that is what I ended up doing. I never have used the design library, perhaps I need to start doing that.

Thanks.

Reply to
pope

We've just started using SW2005 and were on 2003. In 2003 the Hole Wizard stuff was contained in Access databases. They are located in the SolidWorks\lang\English directory. I think the one you need is called ansiinch.mdb. Try looking at the table named TAP. It starts with 0-80, but you should be able to add what you need at the head of the list, or at the tail end at the worst. I have reset the drill sizes for our company since they don't use the industry standards for tap and clearance drills, or counterbores. It isn't hard if you have Access on your machine or one that you can use. Be sure to make a copy of the database just in case something gets messed up. It is a lot harder to write (not record) a macro in VBA than it is to modify an Access table.

Bruce Bretschneider B. Bunch Co, > I'm using SW2004 and the hole wizard stops at 0-80 screw sizes, and I

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider