Unigraphics NX2 - What up?

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Unigraphics NX2? We had them come out for a demo today. It was mighty impressive. It's only about $12,000 per seat! Ouch! Aside from the cost, is there any major hiccups I should be asking about?

___________________ Todd Bennett Celerity Group, Inc snipped-for-privacy@celerity.net

Reply to
T Bennett

Does that include CAM ?

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

No, I think the CAM package is probably in the same neighborhood ($12,000

+/-). However, if the CAM package is as nice as the design side, it would be an impressive combo. We had someone come out to show us the CAM package, but he didn't know up from down. We are going to get another look from an acquaintance who's much more qualified.

___________________ Todd Bennett Celerity Group, Inc snipped-for-privacy@celerity.net

Reply to
T Bennett

A glowing review, the major "con" being the drafting interface.

Sure costs a lot of money though.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

"At one end of the CAD spectrum is code that seems like it was written in someone's garage, then turned loose on the masses, who in turn act as beta testers as long as they can endure it..."

Too funny!

Thanks for posting that link Richard.

Mike

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

Oh geez...

I think this has been brought up before Mike. The author it turns out was NOT talking about SolidWorks. A search reveals that this author is really a fan, and has produced the same glowing reviews of SolidWorks. I posted the link only in response to a question, I do not want to use anything else besides SolidWorks (and I hope I never have to).

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I seem to have missed any such comments.

Sometimes I think some people just miss drafting boards.

Routinely here and elsewhere I hear of people buying 2 or 3 or 4 different, non-integrated applications packages for what seems to me to be more money and then trying to deal with all the vendors, upgrades and interoperability & translation issues. Sometimes vendors go out of business too .... then where is your investment in software & training? Or your part database when it may not run on the latest

OS ...? Or your software expired and there's no longer any support ....

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I think that CATIA v5 or Pro/e is better chocie for more or less the same money

Reply to
Jarocki

UG is a lot easier to use and can do more than Wildfire.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

What business are you in? What types of parts and assemblies do you model?

UG is very powerful across the board.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Between the 20 or so designer/engineers here, we use Pro/E, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and Inventor. Mostly we use SolidWorks, but it tends to die on large assemblies. Inventor just can't do some things we need to do.

Pro/E gets used quite a bit here, but can't say I have ever been impressed with anything that it does. However, it can handle large assemblies fine. It is a closed system that wants to keep you in a box. Wildfire is the closest thing to a user friendly enhancement they have had in the last 6 years (maybe longer). For $300 million, or whatever they spent, it still is like using a chisel and hammer.

NX2 was extremely impressive. I just wanted to know of any problems people have heard about. I don't care about comparisons. At this time, the only problems I've heard about applied to both Pro/E and NX2. They were small at that.

1) NX2 doesn't utilize VB or VBA yet, but is expected to support VB.NET at its next release. 2) EDS is a big company. Will they listen to the small fish?

As far as these two issues stand, Pro/E is in the same boat.

___________________ Todd Bennett Celerity Group, Inc snipped-for-privacy@celerity.net

Reply to
T Bennett

Cliff, you're correct about the C++. I suspect you're right about the second point as well. At any rate, I'm having a difficult time coming up with any negative information about NX2 aside from the cost.