WCS Floor?

Quick one - why does SW use the ZX plane as the 'floor' and not the XY plane from standard engineering convention?

Another quick one, can I change the sketch csys orientation?

Cheers, Sean

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

I'm sorry if this sounds sarcastic, but that's because it is. There is an AutoCAD de-brainwashing tool available. A tech support individual comes by and makes an adjustment using a fence post. Also AutoCAD detox

12 step programs can help you recover one day at a time.

There are many "engineering conventions", including Z up and Y up. I'd be willing to bet that you could even dig up some folks who use X up. I can't think of any time when SW singles out a particular plane as the "floor". If you're talking about the shadows, that is completely relative to the view orientation when the shadow is turned on.

Yes, you can move the sketch origin, but why would you want to? Anyway, use the Modify Sketch tool.

Best of luck, and sorry for the sarcasm.

Reply to
mjlombard

You're not the first I've heard complain/comment about it, and I'm not sure why they do it but they do. And it does not just show up with acad (try exporting a file to or from mastercam, UG, or ProE, and maybe even Catia). The problem comes up (at least for me working with automotive parts) when you try to bring someone else's "in car position" part into SolidWorks and it flips the coordinates 90 degrees and it does the same thing when you go to send it back to them. It's also a problem (maybe minor, depending on who you are) when you send it to someone to do CNC programming and a part that was in machine position in SolidWorks ends up on it's side in the other system. So it's not really a "just how you look at it" quirk.

If you'd like them, I have a part and assembly template I can send you that won't flip the part when you bring it in or export it. Basically all I did was switch the plane names in order from "Front-Top-Right" to "Top-Front-Right" and adjusted the default views to match. Works good for us.

Reply to
Rory

Do you know how to do "update standard views"? Do that in your templates.

Reply to
Dale Dunn