what is the best way to emboss text on tube?

Hi Everyone, i would like to hear suggestions on how to emboss text on a tube while the text extrusion axis on each letter should be pointing towards the tube center axis (normal to tube surface). is there a way to create in one sketch text object many letters and afterwards by some manipulation to emboss the whole text inside the tube without orienting each letter on a plane which is perpendicular to the center axis of the tube? - i mean in such manner, that afterwards, every little change in the text sketch object will update the whole embossing process automaticaly.

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Maybe create a trimmed surface from the sketch, then use the "thicken cut" option in surface features?

I'm not sure this would update with text changes though...

~Alex

If I read you right, I do this all the time on the counters we make...[non-electronic counting wheels as back up systems in aircraft - pilots I guess still don't trust the electronics completely!! :) ] We have to show screened numbers going around a wheel, so the best way is to use the "wrap" feature.

Create your text on one plane as needed, exit the sketch. then select the sketch from the tree and then "insert->features->wrap" and select the surface...

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Try the "wrap" feature.

Reply to
remy martin

what do you mean exactly? can you be more specific?

if i create planar surfaces from the sketch, then what is the next step? how should i bend them (flex wont work) or orient them aroud the center axis of the tube?

thanks.

Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Well for those who are interested - i found an approximate solution, which although it is not elegant, i think it is quite smart. I've created a flat extruded rectangle with the text protruding from him towards the inside face of the tube. Now this is were it gets interesting (for all those who claimed that the flex feature is unnecesery and unhandy) - i used the flex feture with bend on it, in order to bend the plate with the text so it will sit inside the tube perfectly. afterwards, a simple combine with subtract finished the job.... and now the text is embossed inside the tube perfectly with the ability at any time to change the content, size, style and format of the text.

any comments, suggestions on how to make it better or more simple, or suggestions on a different methode will be highly appriciated.

cheers, Gil Alsberg

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Gil,

I don't understand why you are doing it with such an arcane method. As Remy and Scott suggested, the wrap feature does exactly what you want, very easily.

KK

Reply to
Timelord

"yo - some may call, ya'll a dope, for not lis'nin to all da quotes.. we done 'toll you hows to do it right!! so is you jus' doin' it this way out of spite? why ya'll messin' wit all 'dat crap, when all ya'll gots to do is use the freakin' rap!! (wrap!!)"

Oh well, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink it... I guess I could drive to work in reverse and still eventually get to my job too, but why?

Scott

(PS - Can you tell I'm white?) :)) heh...

Reply to
IYM

well, KK, honestly i dont see or saw their repleis! and i'm unfamiliar with the wrap feature! thank's for pointing me to this feature i will check it on the online help.

cheers, Gil

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

good ryming man! read what i replied to timelord and you will understand why i such a hugh complication out of this.

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

in ie - "google newsgroups" those posts appear, but on my outlook express they don't! as if my news client is screening some of the posts randomly out.

Reply to
Gil Alsberg

You probably already know this so just ignore

But if you didn't This group is served up on google in web browser and well structured.

I never use outlook express for viewing newsgroups.

BW

"Gil Alsberg" wrote in news:newscache$aykpki$56c$ snipped-for-privacy@news.actcom.co.il:

Reply to
WNeill