Win 64 bits and SW

Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition RC2 Build 1433 is out. Any news on a SW compile to take advantage of x64 ? Anytime soon? (I'm waiting on it to renew our WStations to go 64 bits, but not holding my breath)

JM

Reply to
Jean Marc BRUN

SW people were very uncommital about this at SWW. Given the enhancement requests that were voted on, performance is NOT a SW issue at this time among the majority of users. And ths although SW recommended getting the absolute fastest hardware in order to get better assembly performance. They also recomend not using advanced features like fillets in large assemblies.

SW could do the following in order of difficulty:

Publish tips on how to access more memory under a 64 bit OS with 32 bit SW. Optimize for AMD and Intel instead of just Intel. Compile for 64 bits. Tighten up the code/Take out bottlenecks.

Jean Marc BRUN wrote:

Reply to
P.