wire/cabling

Hi Folks, We have several photo kiosk designs under development for in stant digital printing. My users have already built one version and are starting on the next. They are wondering what is availble for Solidworks to assist with the placement of wires and cables throught the box. We had made inquires about Embassyworks, but found out that they are now an ACAD only product. Does any one have a product or technique to recommend.

-regards, Larry Zolla Polaroid

Reply to
LJZ

Actually, EmbassyWorks still exists and there is technical support for it, but there are no plans to update it in the future (naturally, as AutoDesk has no interest in supporting SolidWorks apps). The last version is 4.0. If they still have the same price structure there is a basic version that does most of what anybody would want it to do for around $5000, and the full-up version is abour $8000. Not cheap, certainly. If you were trying to design wiring harnesses for something REALLY complex (like an airplane or a tank, for example), it would be worth it. But there's a fair chance that at some point in the future it won't even work with the latest versions of SolidWorks. You could still design stuff, however. Just keep a workstation with the older version of SolidWorks and when it comes time to design the wiring harness you could export Parasolid (or STEP or IGES) from the later version of SolidWorks, import it into the earlier version, design the harness, and then import the result into the later version of SolidWorks. Doing that it would lose some of its intelligence, however. That doesn't mean you couldn't maintain that intelligence at the single workstation, though.

Actually, a buddy of mine has a license and wouldn't mind selling it. It's version 3.0 and you probably would want to update to the 4.0 version. I have no idea what it would cost, but you can ask them. I think my buddy wouldn't ask anywhere close to the original cost (probably not half), but I can't speak for him.

'Spork'

LJZ wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Thanks all, I will present your info to the group. One guy said he heard that SW Piping was going to be reworked into a wire/cable/harness tool in 2004. Can anyone confirm that?

-Larry Z

Reply to
LJZ

I've worked for 2 different lighting companies and a stereo headphone manufacturer in the past and we never bothered with modeling the wires or wire harnesses for the same reasons that were stated by previous posters.

But what we did do is determine where we wanted the wires/wireharness to run through the product we were making and put wire clips or tie downs in locations where they wires would need to run. When we built the prototypes, we would simply build a wire harness by hand, determining what the wire lengths needed to be.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Charney