a little OT - Unhappy events at Athearn Models

HSD has been doing that for at least 8 years now, since before I closed my store and I had a dealership with them. They're still here.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Could also be that they see the handwriting on the wall and that many hobbyist either don't have a local shop for them to get stuff from, or the same hobbyist would rather buy online, just like a lot of other people are doing because it's convenient. And if that online store has a better selection, or has the stuff the guy wants, then they have the business. Not the local shop with the same shelf-warming stock.

Certainly, a Walthers has to toe a fine line. They have to keep the LHS in business, but they also know that there's that hobbyist out in West Bumf**k who also needs hobby supplies. Or are we saying that if you're an online shopper, we don't want your business? Not everybody is a Trainworld.....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Nope.

But I can go to my small town Chevy dealer and buy a Toyota, Chevy, Olds or Jeep. Defending '50's exclusivity is admirable, but so were the actions of Don Quixote.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

And, as I said earlier, it could well be that Walthers sees the handwriting on the wall, and isn't all that enthusiastic about cutting out what may be a significant segment of the hobby.

If folks are correct and that cash flow from a hobby shop is waning, no business who supplies those business (or even businesses who are losing traffic) will turn their back on new sources of revenue. And if the shareholders are clamoring for a better return on investment, and there's a solid pool of potential revenue from a mail-order only shop, then from a financial standpoint, the company should be looking into it. Or tapping into it.

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

The biggest complaint as I see it is that for the majority of us, we're losing our el-cheapo source for Athearn stuff. You can't tell me that a Caboose Hobbies can sell as cheap as Big Al or Peter King. The fact that Caboose Hobbies has a huge store and piles of inventory and a lot of employees will tell you that. It's the same argument that we've gone over here on RMR; the local hobby shop vs the online dealer who has no storefront.

:D

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Also something to think about with Walthers and Horizon. Walthers has a ton of money into making and advertising cars for the Super Chief and the Athearn F7 A & B engines are due for that train in Sept-Oct of this year and to be sold by Walthers. If Horizon doesn't supply them to Walthers (I'm assuming Walthers has some kind of contract) I sense another litigation in this wonderful hobby of ours.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Really? Ours has MR, RMC, Garden Railroading, and a host of other model mags. Even the evil WalMart has MR and RMC - At a discount!

Well, yeah, that's where the basement guys come in, when they haul their inventory to the shows....

Speaking of which...it's not too soon to plan your visit to the Piedmont Division's show:

Jeff Sc. Shameless Plug, Ga.

Reply to
not.fishplate

You know what, though, I'd still rather build an Ulrich hopper, Silver Streak reefer or Central Valley boxcar and use it on the layout than buy anything in plastic currently being offered by Walthers, Accurail, P2K, Intermountain or Kadee. There's a greater sense of accomplishment in assembling those old craftsman kits than there is in any of the new stuff, for me at least.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Or Long's.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Also speaking of the MRR hobby in general where would DCC be today if left to the B&M stores. No where! Most of them (not all) have no idea of what DCC is let alone try and sell it.

Reply to
Jon Miller

You mean, swimming up stream with a rock tied around your neck, is difficult!?

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Brian, Brentwood TN? I worked at Maryland Farms when it was a racing stable and not an office Park or what ever it is now. That's quite some time ago. Galloped many a horse in that beautiful spot. Do you remember the train store that was in down town Nashville. I really liked that place even though I had to order most of the things I wanted. It was only around for a year or two. It was called "Model Engineers". I also remember running up to Goodlettsville to get HOn3 track and turnouts at a place called David Hitts. At that time after living near Philadelphia, Chicago and San Francisco, Nashville was like a desert when it came to Model Railroading. It was also a bit out of the way for a horse racing operation and they had to ship up to the Kentucky tracks to run. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Jon,

I was talking with my LHS this afternoon. He showed me the Horizon letter, and indicated that the folks at Horizon had called him this past week(they call every week or two). This call was to discuss the Athearn sale. Horizon is honoring the agreement with Walthers on the Super Chief engines, and the he showed me the new Walthers Budd sleeper(he thought maybe Athearn was building it for Walthers. I did not ask any more or look in the box) - Who is building these cars? I thought Roco or someone in Europe has been building Walthers new passenger cars. We discussed Horizon(he as had very good service from them with R/C). They took over United distributors a number of years ago, and have also bought out Losi(sp) who makes R/C car stuff. He has no problem with getting Athearn(store front), but I suspect there may be some severe 'dumping' over the next year as Walthers and other distributors clear out their Athearn inventory. BTW, he also got scads of back order cancellations from Walthers for all of his Athearn back orders! My guess is his Athearn sales will take a big dip for the rest of this train season as the train show dealers flood the market with Athearn 'dumpings'. Next fall the blood letting should be over and his Athearn sales should return to normal.

Jim Bernier

Reply to
Jim Bernier

How can you even say such a thing...think about it...If they did not sell to to non B&M shops then they would have less sales volume...I don't know what all the fuss is over to be honest with you..Buyout happen every single day in the business world..Yes, it is sad to see such an old line company such as athearn fall under the banner of some bigger company..However, it is nothing new in the business world. Consolidations are happening in just about every phase of business..Get over it.

Denis F. Blake Columbus, OH TTHOTS

Reply to
Denis F. Blake

building Walthers new passenger cars< I think these cars are being made in China but wouldn't swear to it.

return to normal.< I really doubt it but that's just an opinion. Prices will go up and Branchline, RC, IM, and the others will take over because they are available easily. Athearn will only be available at store fronts. Store fronts that do mail-order may be helped but again I doubt it. I think sales will shift to other brands. Other lists are discussing this as restriction of trade (violation of federal law) and some dealers _might_ be banding together. Horizon must know that the MRR group of dealers is not like the RC, etc. group! The following was stated on another list! __________________________________________ If the situation is as you relate it, these people could be treading very heavily on FEDERAL STATUTES - they're called - RESTRAINT OF TRADE; enforced under the auspicies of the FTC .

Since this (could be) on the federal level, dealers from around the country could "join the party".

Again, if true, instead of griping, affected dealers should get together and seek legal counsel to see what their options and recourse(s) are.

A group of (photo dealers) did in Calif. a number of years ago and we definitely got the attention of, and adjusted the attitude of the involved distributor(s).

Reply to
Jon Miller

OK; ever go to your neighbor to buy the Toyota, Olds, or Jeep? NO; only dealers sell new cars. That's the point.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Me, too, except it's Westerfield, and Sunshine.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Funny; the two store I trade with in Houston are very much aware of it and sell tons of it.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

My partner and I bought out David Hitt when he decided to go full time into RC cars.

Since I am a transplant to Nashville I don't have personal memories that far back, though many of my customers told me about the various stores including the one near the TC tracks (now I-440).

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

(snip)

(snip)

That tells me a lot; United was BIG. I got most of my Atlas track from United, while I got most of my trains from Walthers.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni