Air systems used for turnouts such as Del-Air

Has anyone ever used these type of systems to control their turnouts and such. I saw a vender display at the Chicago GATS show some years back and I was impressed with it. But I haven't met anyone who ever used it. I would be interested to hear any stories good or bad. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Reply to
famopala

I have a couple of folks that come into my shop that use these. They purchase model aircraft fuel line fittings and tubing for th installations. Never heard a negative about them. These folks model N,O, and G scales.

Dave Henk Jacksonville, FL

Reply to
Dave Henk

I belonged to a club a few years back that used the Del-air pneumatics.

Pluses:

Inexpensive easy to install

Minuses:

No provision for operating electrical devices or signals Air supply required Inability to operate a turnout from more than one location When air is turned off, all turnouts throw to their "at rest" position

The minuses can be worked around (we used additional cylinders to throw electrical switches, and an electrical solonoid valve where multiple control points were required) but they generally are as much trouble and sometimes MORE expensive than more traditional ways to do it.

For me, the minuses outweighed the plusses, but your mileage may vary.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Note the prototype uses electrical controls --- Most modelers select Switchmanster, Roto-Motor, Scale Shops or Tortise --- some as low in cost as $6.65 ---

Dan

Reply to
Bruce Stull

Unless, of course, your prototype uses electropneumatic point motors and train stops!

Mark.

Reply to
Mark Newton

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 05:28:34 UTC, "Trainman" wrote: 2000

I have looked at it several times and concluded that the primary system was indeed inexpensive but the valves seemed to raise the cost to something more than electrical machines.

I do like the simplicity of the cylinders and the ability to mount them atop the track board.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch