Athearn to release re-tooled MDC RS-3 this year

It's very simple. If Atlas wants to sell more RS-3's, they are going to have to update it. They already have once to keep ahead of the competition. If Athearn makes a beautiful RS-3, then there won't be that much interest in the old Atlas model, especially if Athearn can make all the variants and Atlas cannot. BTW, they aren't selling to "Joe Consumer", they are selling to model railroaders who are expected to know the difference...

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

If that's the way it works, then its a win-win for us!

All model railroaders are NOT afficionados (like the users of this newsgroup). I believe there are MANY folks who buy what they buy because they like how it looks - not because it's ultra-accurate. I also believe that it's this type of consumer who gets the lion's share of attention from the manufacturers.

Frank

Reply to
DCC Models

newsgroup). I believe there are MANY folks who buy what they buy because they like how it looks - not because it's ultra-accurate. I also believe that it's this type of consumer who gets the lion's share of attention from the manufacturers<

Mostly true but if you notice most all of today's models are very accurate. Those that are not sell some but not in the price range that Athearn and others would like to see sales. Good example is Trix. Expensive cars with some very fatal errors. They aren't selling. Kadee's, which are very, very accurate and in the same price range, they can't keep on the shelves. Bottom line is if the cars are in the 5 to 10 dollar range they get purchased by the group who doesn't care. If they are in the $30+ range they better be accurate or they won't move!

Reply to
Jon Miller

I'd rather have a model that "looks right" than one that measures out correctly but looks wrong.because of some expediency of manufacture.. What I really hate is when the choice is between a dog that runs well and a beauty that doesn't!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

Paul: I don't have one of the current MDC RS-3s, so forgive me if I misunderstand something here... doesn't it sound like the improvements are mainly on the add-on details (bell, windows, fuel tank, handrails) and the basic RS-3 carbody casting won't be changed?

Then again.. if it's right-on already, no need to change that.

I certainly welcome the improvements...

- Mark

Reply to
Mark Mathu

If it's the same manufacturer (MDC), then that has relevance. Remember the saying: "the acorn doesn't fall far from teh tree."

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Frank's point is that they don't *have* to get it exactly right to satisfy a large part of the modeling spectrum (ohh.. sorry, probably shouldn't use that word in a MDC/Atlas thread).

I think we know that most modelers aren't just "Joe Consumer," but there is a large part of the market that just wants a close semblance of an RS-3 that runs reliably at a reasonable price (those are countering forces, which can lead to a whole series of price/quality points), and sometimes offering a model in a greater variety of ready-to-run paint schemes can trump having the correct headlights and turbo stack.

Even if they take extra pains to improve their details, the large myriad of production options and after-market improvements (The RS-3 has three generally recognized phases, correct?) will still leave the company open to criticism to a small but very vocal segment of the hobby. Unless MDC changes the louver arrangement on the car sides they will never cover all bases, and someone will always complain -- about details that are far harder to correct than just what type of horn was used on the model.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Jeez, John... what do you want Athearn to do... offer the RS-3 in every louver configuration that Alco tried at the factory, or else completely pull the model from hobby shelves?

How do you define "very accurate" with an RS-3?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

You can't even to image the pain I feel because Walthers *is* my local hobby store!

- Mark in Milwaukee

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Reply to
Jon Miller

  1. Athearn has not set a price point.
  2. Kadee doesn't make HO locomotives.
Reply to
Mark Mathu

Just like it matters that Bachmann and Life-Like still make junky toy train set-type locos and cars yet still make great running, well detailed first rate models. Just because it has the same company name on the box does not mean that they are the same quality.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Mark, Here's an updated list of improvements to the MDC RS-3:

Modify that stack so that both versions can be produced Improve bell - multiple options Add window glazing New brakewheel Pilot options (open or with a small pilot) Fuel tank options Improved air tank castings Steam generator options Headlight options New plastic handrails Brass air horns Etched fan grille Separate grabs made of formed wire Hood will be modified so that the cab doesn't appear solid DCC ready with a plug The single beam head light will be like the Genesis F-unit headlights: a minibulb w/reflector behind a lens. The twin sealed beam will again be minibulbs, but like the GP35, SD60, etc., instead. Weight will be added if they can fit it in around the various parts and electronics. They are apparently going to offer two kinds of steam gen. stacks. The shutters on the side will be re-cut to improve their looks (but not see-through). A cooling fan on the top will be visable through the screen.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

They'll take that over nothing, or when the "good enough" is better than anyone else's effort. But if there are two models out there, one accurate, one not, more people are going to gravitate to the more accurate model these days.

They "might" do the later phases, BTW. It depends on how well the Phase

1b's sell (the current MDC model). And of the 1300 or so RS-3's, only 46 were Phase II (7 roads), 250+ were Phase III. The other 1000 or so were Phase 1's.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

I mostly with you up to that last point you made. If it's the "good enough-ers" who get the "lion's share of attention", they why are these manufacturers making all these variations? Look at the Genesis F-units, or the P2K FA's or E-units. These all have factory add on detail to make them more accurate. If anything, I think the manufacturers are courting the "detail" modelers now more than ever...

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

| >> their shay kit was a NIGHTMARE! | >

| > True, but irrelevant to the RS-3. | | If it's the same manufacturer (MDC), then that has relevance. Remember the | saying: "the acorn doesn't fall far from teh tree."

Since MDC, Athearn and many others shop out die cutting the acorn can fall a long way from the tree. The RS3 was cut by the same fellow (Munson? [SP?]) who did the Athearn Blomberg sideframes as well as the MDC FM boxcars And a bunch of other stuff for both MDC and Athearn at that time period. (Twenty five years ago?) The MDC RS3 suffered from kludge drives and from being the third out of the stable.

The Athearn rework will keep this shell compeditative with the Atlas twenty five year old shell.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian
Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

In that respect, I think it's a big mistake if they don't put a Genesis drive in their newly retooled RS3!!!

Reply to
DCC Models

I just don't agree that the MDC Shay was, or is, a "nightmare". Yes, it IS a "tinkerer's delight". To make a GOOD running model from it requires some skill and a lot of "TLC". I've seen it done, several times.

And, until the admittedly much better Bachmann Shay came along, it was the ONLY non-brass Shay. So, if you wanted a Shay, and couldn't afford brass prices, it was the ONLY game in town, and well worth the effort.

And, even now, it's a distinctly DIFFERENT Shay than the Bachmann, so there's still a place for it.

NWSL offers a regear set for the MDC Shay that solves many of it's drive problems. The electrical pick-up is the other big problem. THAT is badly engineered, and needs to be reworked. There's whole booklet published on how to improve these models. Yes, it's a lot of work to do well, but you'll get a decent Shay. And, even with ALL the add ons, it'll only cost you about 1/3 to 1/2 of what a brass Shay costs.

But, I agree that it's NO beginner's kit.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I don't believe that Botchmann makes great running, well detailed first rate models, aside from a FEW steamers.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni