Boston & Maine 2-6-0 Mogul in HO?

Guys --
I'm thinking about getting a Boston & Main 2-6-0 Mogul for my (future) Lexington Branch RR. The prototype will be the engines run by the B&M
in suburban service during the 1940s and '50s. I'd like a smooth running loco, good detail is important and I want to control it with DCC. Oh, and I'm working in HO!
Does anybody here have recommendations for me? I'm a relative newbie and am not totally familiar with all the manufacturers out there....
Thanks for your suggestions!
Stuart
Stuart Brorson wrote:

The most widely used B&M Mogul was the Type B15. They entered service around the turn of the century and were still pulling Boston commuter trains right up to the end of steam in 1957. Some still had slide valves into the '50's, others had the more modern piston valves. IHC makes a mogul in plastic of which I have two. With B&M markings on the tender they are "good enough" at least for me. Find the model with the coal tender rather than the oil tender. The B&M always burned coal. A careful study of prototype photos will reveal a number of differences, but lacking the photos, the IHC's look OK, especially pulling a few open platform wood commuter coaches. The IHC's can be improved by painting the tender wheelfaces grimy black and by adding a working coupler to the pilot. They are good runners but being small and light they don't pull all that much, certainly not more than a dozen cars.
David Starr
: Stuart Brorson wrote: :> Guys -- :> :> I'm thinking about getting a Boston & Main 2-6-0 Mogul for my (future) :> Lexington Branch RR. The prototype will be the engines run by the B&M :> in suburban service during the 1940s and '50s. I'd like a smooth :> running loco, good detail is important and I want to control it with :> DCC. Oh, and I'm working in HO! :> :> Does anybody here have recommendations for me? I'm a relative newbie :> and am not totally familiar with all the manufacturers out there.... :> :> Thanks for your suggestions! :> :> Stuart :> : The most widely used B&M Mogul was the Type B15. They entered service : around the turn of the century and were still pulling Boston commuter : trains right up to the end of steam in 1957. Some still had slide : valves into the '50's, others had the more modern piston valves. : IHC makes a mogul in plastic of which I have two. With B&M markings : on the tender they are "good enough" at least for me. Find the model : with the coal tender rather than the oil tender. The B&M always burned : coal. A careful study of prototype photos will reveal a number of : differences, but lacking the photos, the IHC's look OK, especially : pulling a few open platform wood commuter coaches. : The IHC's can be improved by painting the tender wheelfaces grimy : black and by adding a working coupler to the pilot. They are good : runners but being small and light they don't pull all that much, : certainly not more than a dozen cars.
: David Starr
Thanks to everybody for their helpful suggestions! I'll check out IHC. I enjoyed the kitbashed 2-6-0 website which was also pointed out!
Stuart
The IHC 2-6-0 looks like a good representaion......
IHC Model:
http://www.ihc-hobby.com/img/plg/m550.jpg
http://www.the-gauge.com/gallery/files/3/5/9/9/100_5533.jpg
http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Steam/IHC-steam-2-6-0.jpg
Prototype B&M 2-6-0:
http://www.romaband.com/trains/ed1.jpg
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/d/16511-2/05+10-23+18.jpg ?
http://www.trainsarefun.com/danbury/images/1455.jpg
Stuart Brorson wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 15:38:26 -0000, Stuart Brorson wrote:

Now, where did I see something about that Mogul - oh, yeah: here's a web article on kitbashing/detailing the IHC Mogul that might give you some ideas:
http://eldora.net/lyndon/ho/mstl304.html
--
Steve