MP 4-4-0 (N-scale)

I just got one of these and I am very impressed by the appearance and detail. It runs smooth too... Unfortunately, it only runs good on
level track without a load. Any grade, it starts slipping. I have not tried pulling anything with it yet. I noticed that the pilot truck is very stiffly sprung. Does anybody have any experience with these? Should I remove the pilot truck spring totally or just reduce the tension? Also, Micro-Trains lists no conversion for this loco yet. I'm inclined to go with a body mounted 1015 on the tender. I do wish that manufacturers would start supplying real coupler on their products. Even the Accumates Atlas puts on their locos are better than those stupid rapidos.. TIA, Franz T.
The body mounted coupler works very well and I think they even had a pilot hole for it (don't remember for sure). Conversion to DCC was also very easy as they run all necessary wires back to the tender.
It is slippery and does not pull well. Works adequately on NTRAK but not on my steep grades at home. It could have some weight added to the cab but I have not done this.
Ken Harstine
snipped-for-privacy@THEFINALfrontiernet.net says...

Ken Harstine
MP 4-4-0 is one of the locos where you wish that they would have installed traction tire on.
Yes, tires are a bad thing on most locos but in this case, they would have made sense.
And it would be close to impossible to turn a groove for a traction tire because there is no easy and secure way to squarely chuck the wheel in a lathe. It would have to be chucked by the flange and that might deform the flange. Although I might try that some day...
If I can pick up a spare wheelset, I might be bit more adventurous with it.
Peteski