colour photos of US steam

Hi All from chilly Wales (UK).

I have a small but (slowly) growing collection of US Steam locos and need some help in finding reference photos of the following locos. Allegheny, "A" class and Y3 class. I am ideally after colour photos as I want some reference photos for weathering. Can any one point me to an on line source? If not what about books??

My apologies for cross posting.

Reply to
piemanlarger

There have been several books written on the Norfolk and Western railroad. Most of the photos are in b&w but there are some color photos. Weathering of a steam loco is pretty much the same no matter what the railroad although the N&W was pretty good about keeping the locos in good shape and finish. Eastern steam had a lot less "weathering" as the locos were using much better water so the white deposits didn't form anywhere near as much. I'll also note that O. Winston Link did a lot of sound recordings of the N&W railroad and did several excellent records out of that. My favorite is 2nd Pigeon and a mockingbird - a mockingbird singing in the foreground as the

2nd Pigeon train marched up in the background.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

The site

an extensive collection of photos available on-line. A quick look showed photos of the H-8 in B&W and color, the A in B&W in original service and 1218 in fan trip service in color, and Y-3/Y-3a in B&W and color, as well as other classes which would have similar paint jobs, operational dirt, and maintenance.

I don't do much with N&W but would recommend three books of color photos of the C&O with steam era (and diesel) content:

- Chesapeake & Ohio Color Pictorial Volume One by Harry Stegmaier, Four Ways West Publications 1998 ISBN 1-885614-21-7

- Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in Color Volume 1 by Jeremy Plant and William McClure III, Morning Sun Publications 2002 ISBN 1-58248-083-4

- Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in Color Volume 2 by Jeremy Plant and William McClure III, Morning Sun Publications 2003 ISBN 1-58248-109-1 Both Morning Sun Publications (

) and TLC Publications (
) are active publishers of good quality color photo books. TLC is based in Lynchburg, Virginia and tends to emphasize C&O and N&W material. Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer