"Compensated" grade

Those fun words sound like locations modelers might use on a layout....

Dieter Zakas Tongue-in-Cheek, NJ

Reply to
Hzakas

You'd really need a "Difino River", too... and of course the man-made impoundment would be the "Dammed Difinio"...

Reply to
Joe Ellis

'Impoundment!', You've got to be Joseph Sovereign! There ain't no such word! Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Sorry - Google has a ton of hits on "impoundment". Bob

Reply to
KTØT

=>'Impoundment!', You've got to be Joseph Sovereign! There ain't no such word! => Regards, => Bill.

There is such a word now - he just created it! OTOH, I do recall seeing the word in egineering texts many years ago... But don't trust my leaky memory on this one.

Anyhow, -MENT is a "living suffix", which just means that people use it freely to make up words as they need them. If enough people make up the same word, it will show up in the edition of your favourite dictionary.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

My American Heritage Dictionary says otherwise...

im-pound (m-pound') tr.v. im-pound'-ed, im-pound'-ing, im-pounds'. 1. To confine in or as if in a pound. 2. To seize and retain in legal custody.

  1. To set aside in a fund rather than spend as prescribed. 4. To accumulate and store in a reservoir. ?im-pound'-age or im-pound'-ment n. ?im-pound'-er n.

Obviously, the 4th sense is the applicable one in this case.

Reply to
Joe Ellis

Sounds like you don't have enough down there... we could give you some! : )

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Just created it? Only if he time travelled back to the 17th century. Hope he didn't step on a butterfly.

It is used more in hydrological documents than elsewhere, but it has the usefulness of being more specifically about water behind a dam than does the word "lake".

Reply to
Steve Caple

Hmmm.. And some think GovernMENT is dead. :-)

Reply to
Corelane