DIY DCC decoders

Wow; I didn't realize that decoders could be so simple. Check this one out:

(This was found by following links from the "annoying snowflakes" site.)

It's only 2 chips, a rectifier and a regulator, plus a couple parts. I assume the first chip is a microcontroller, requiring some programming.

Maybe I *should* think about DIY decoders ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Yep, that would be a PIC followed by an h-bridge.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Actually that isn't an h-bridge. It's a pair of power op-amps acting the part, interesting way to do it.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

I've been designing DIY decoders and firmware for years. What you have there is a very basic one which was started by Dean Probst many years ago - we have advanced quite a bit since those days, with several experienced folks in the area working on decoders. If you want a more reliable version, or with BEMF, check out

I also have a working sound decoder that is being tested/operated by my colleagues (not published on the site yet).

Reply to
gfuchs3

The PIC 12C kinda gave that away. ;-)

Cool stuff. :-) I had run across part of your site when searching for schematics etc. I see that you seem to appreciate the utility of the venerable PIC chip. Do you make the source code available?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont