Expandable Foam???

Has anyone ever tried using expandable foam in their landscaping? You know, the kind that sprays out of the pressurized can....

I'm thinking about trying it and I'd like to hear from others who may have tried it at one time or another. Obviously, the pros and cons are the important factor.

Thanks,

Andy

Reply to
Andyroo111

Its lightweight, easy to work on, one can is very productive and doesnt cost so much. Only advantages in my eyes...

Micha

"Andyroo111" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m24.aol.com...

Reply to
Michael Kreiser

So... what do you see as the disadvantages???

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Since the pros have been listed here are some concerns:

Use in well ventilated area and make sure there are no spark or flame sources handy. Off gases can be detrimental to ones health.

Reply to
+GF+

Ok, so how do you control it while you're adding it? I played with a can, got shapeless blobs, with a few places that looked like the most beautiful lava flows. Ended up tossing over half and keeping the one piece that looked good. Are you using some technique like bagging to keep it going roughly into the shape you want? From the part that I did keep, I can see the potential.

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

You must "lay" little "sausages", i don´t know how to say that better.

*lol*. make one from left to right, the another one over or in front of it, and so on, until you have the amount you want.

Before opening the can, you must shake it a few times, i think then all should work well...

(Maybe the foam cans in Germany and USA are different, but i can´t imagine that...) "Greybeard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Michael Kreiser

The stuff is rather expensive for scenery. In addition, unless you find some way to form it while it is liquid, it will look like lava pillow forms all over the place - not really prototypical for scenery. Finally, it doesn't like to be cut by the hot wire method which leaves the abrasive and cold cutting methods for shaping after it sets.

Bob May

If you are doing a large area it will cost ALOT, but perhaps using sheet foam AND spray foam would keep the cost lower. My On30 layout is about

6' x12' and the spray foam is all I used; about 15 cans at $4-$5 each. Don't put it on too thick in one pass or the middle will stay gooey. Once it sets up it carves well with an old steak knife or a wallboard saw. Use some gauze or paper with plaster over it; the spots where I only used wallboard mud WITHOUT paper or gauze ended up cracking after it was painted and scenicked. In all, expensive but acceptable on a small layout. I'm happy with the results.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

I used some that came from a can and some "mountains in minutes", which was a two-part mix, for a small part of my layout.

Others have talked about the advantages, which I agree with. It is especially good for use on a portable module or similar where light weight is an advantage.

Disadvantage, it is very hard to control. Figuring out where the stuff is going to end up (it expands so much) is a challenge. It sticks to EVERTHING! Make sure you don't get it anywhere anything that you have detailed or where you will want to remove it (like track, buildings, etc.) as you will not be able to get it completely off (voice of experience here!)

I have returned to using plaster for most scenery. In a few places where I needed a removable bit of scenery (covering a holding yard), I used blue foam and carved it to shape. However, I'd consider the expandable foam again in a situation that required ultra light weight.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Stern

Aren't there two kinds??? the high expansion & low expansion varieties?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel