Found Foam

We hit the foam mother load!!

I was coming back from the library with the kids and decided to swing by the new Fry¹s Electronics that¹s moving into the abandoned shell of the old Incredible Universe/Auto Nation Store. While looking at the doings the other day I noticed that they were putting some foam in construction dumpsters. I pulled in behind the construction dumpster and even 400 yards away you could see pink stuff poking out of the top. Could it be? Yes it was. An entire construction dumpster FULL to the top with 3 high density pink foam. Most pieces were at least a full 4¹ wide and about

5/8 or 3/4 of a full sheet. Even found one full sheet with only a few blemishes. With the boys in he van, I could not get much other than small scraps but I knew the seats could come out and I could come back.

Pics of the haul and their home on my home page

Any drawbacks to the dense 3" pink stuff of the used variety?

Reply to
Dana Miller

Lucky dog! :-) Should work great!

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Good find!

Greybeard

Reply to
Greybeard

Reply to
Tom Watson

Dana=A0Miller wrote: We hit the foam mother load!!

----------------------------------------------- Wow! What'll you do with the money you saved. Dana?

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

SNIPS

There is a group called rec.woodworking. On that group there is a tradition of folks who have found great deals on wood for projects posting a report which is almost uniformly headed by a subject line: "Gloat: I found xxxxxx ".

Those "Gloat" posts generate some really funny replies, all "tongue-in-cheek" envios, that start with the phrase: "You su*k".

For model.railroading, you have retired the "Gloat" category.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Rebuilt Engine for the car:-(. How many dumpsters will I have to dive for to pay for that.

Reply to
Dana Miller

Oh, yeah, This Fry's Electronics is located just north of 96th St. in Fishers Indiana. Mapquest Link

The dumpster is still mostly full.

Reply to
Dana Miller

I read the "Wreck" (rrq.woodworking). My Table Saw, Radial Arm Saw, Shop Vac, and Drill Press are buried behind the mound of pink foam. this is gonna put a BIG hurt on my wood working tasks for SWMBO. I held the camera over my head so the pile looks smaller than real life.

Lesson learned. Keep an eye out for "Big Box Store" type buildings being renovated or demoed. I'm assuming this mother load came off of the roof somewhere where they were cutting in new air handling or some such. Anybody know an easy way to make a hot wire foam cutter?:-) I've been experimenting in shaping and landscaping with this stuff. I'm kinda shy about gluing the track down to this. Is there a way to nail or tack it down? Can glued down track be easily removed?

Reply to
Dana Miller

That is definitely a great haul!!

On my son's model railroad, I first tacked the track directly to the foam, but the nails tended to pull out. While 'freshening' the scenery, I inadvertently oversprayed the track with the same 50/50 white glue and discovered the next day that it was nicely fixed to the foam (painted yet).

The thought did occur to me that it may be permanent, however one day when Philippe was helping clean the rails, he spilled some of the methyl hydrate and it quickly released the track. Noted that and went on. Later that day, I prepared to re-glue that section and it was already fixed in place again after the alcohol evaporated. With ballast, though; it could be messy.......;0)

Ian Mathers Yellowknife, NT

Ian G. Mathers

Methyl Hydrate stumped me for a while. Googled for the answer. Known also as Wood or Methyl Alcohol. I looked up the MSDS for same. Not nice stuff.

In short:

Toxic by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. May be a reproductive hazard. Ingestion may be fatal. Risk of very serious, irreversible damage if swallowed. Exposure may cause eye, kidney, heart and liver damage. Chronic or substantial acute exposure may cause serious eye damage, including blindness. Irritant. Narcotic. UK exposure limits: long-term 200 ppm, short term 250 ppm.

Lets find another solvent for the kids to work with.

I've foundered onto another issue. I've been gleefully laying down the big pink stuff to build up the subroadbed and landscaping surface. I found that I could "bulk up" my layout dimensions by having the foam over the edges of my 4' x 2', 4', & 8' plywood bases. I think I can safely hang over by 8" all round. That turns a tight 4' wide space into a much more comfortable 5'-5'6" span My previous layout was limited to mostly 18" radius curves . I think I can switch over to 22" min radius on the mainline if not more now. I was laying out some arcs on the foam to visualize the curves. 1st mistake. I used a sharpie permanent pen. One solution for that mistake I have found so far is sanding it off/grinding it off with a surform tool.

What type of marking tool works well on extruded foam and won't bleed through your ground cover/paint? White board pens won't bleed BUT they seem to eat the foam a bit. Pencils, which worked great on the plywood of the last layout just rip up the foam. Ideas?

Reply to
Dana Miller

Dana Miller wrote in news:dmiller297.not.really-C091AF.21044020022005 @netnews.asp.att.ne t:

Borrow some crayons from your kids.