"G" #1 Gauge Track Rail

I am trying to find a supplier of Rail for ""G" #1 Gauge Track Rail". I would like to hand lay my own rail. I tried Google, but have not had any luck. Maybe I googled wrong or something I do not know. Hopefully someone can help.

This is going to be for outdoor use and I am considering using Stainless Steel or solid Aluminum not tube. Years ago I used Brass, but would like something that takes a little less maintenance.

A supplier on the east coast would be nice if possible. Save a little on shipping.

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

I agree, your search string wasn't very helpful in finding what you wanted. It's tough to figure out a good search string, eh?

First off, there isn't really such a thing as "G gauge rail", since rail comes in a variety of sizes, and just about any of it can be used to lay

45mm gauge track. Depends on the prototype track that you'r modelling. That being said, G gauge track generally uses code 250 (0.250" high) or code 332 (0.332" high). Micro Engineering Company makes aluminum rail in both these sizes, and nickel silver in code 205 and 250. Google on "micro engineering company", and you'll get quite a few hits of dealers who offer their rail and related stuff. You could also google on "code 250 rail", I did, and a got few useful hits. Good hunting!

BTW, several of the G gauge train manufacturers also offer flex track. Hand laid track prices out to about the same as flex track, but of course if you _like_ laying track, that's not a consideration.

If you are into track laying, you may also be into exact scale wheels, with exact scale flanges, in which case you could use smaller rail, too. Eg, suppose you are using 45mm gauge to represent 3ft narrow gauge. 3ft gauge lines used anything from about 30 lb to about 80 lb rail. Those sizes rail would be well represented by code 100 (used for HO), and code

125 or 148 (used for O scale.)

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

A search using "G scale" "bulk rail" was a bit more productive. The first hit pointed to this forum thread on the same subject that you're asking:

An online source turned up here:
And the Walthers web site for G scale offerings from Micro Engineering lists bulk rail as the first four items:
I'll leave further research up to you.

Reply to
Rick Jones

Thanks for the info