Hi. My name is Ken.. I live in.........

My name is Ken . I live in West Virginia , USA , close to the Charleson , the capitol city of West Virginia. West Virginia is located in the mideastern part of the USA approx 450 miles (724 km) from the Atlantic coast. I model primarily in Hon3 and my main interests are structures and scenery.

I also model in N scale standard gauge.and have been dabbling a bit in On30. I have a few pieces of Z and Nn3.

I like the Colorado mining and California logging operations and model mostly the logging roads. West Virginia also has a very interesting history in logging although most of it was standard gauge.

excursion road , the Cass Scenic railroad was in operation from

1901 until the 60's . It was restored and now has an 11 mile , 5 hour run which takes it to Bald Knob , which is the second highest peak in West Virginia at 4842 feet. Cass Railroad has the largest Shay ever built and also runs a Climax and Heislers.

Just thought it may be interesting if we would all share a little information about our interests with one another.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Ken Day wrote: My name is Ken . I live in West Virginia , USA , close to the Charleson , the capitol city of West Virginia. West Virginia is located in the mideastern part of the USA approx 450 miles (724 km) from the Atlantic coast. I model primarily in Hon3 and my main interests are structures and scenery. I also model in N scale standard gauge.and have been dabbling a bit in On30. I have a few pieces of Z and Nn3. ***

------------------------------------------------------------ Welcome, Ken.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Bill......I don't think you're paying attention. Been hanging around this group a long time. Read this line again

Reply to
Ken Day

Bill....don't think you're paying attention. I've been hanging around this group for quite a while. Read this line from my post again......

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

Good evening, class....

Ken, Which side of the state of Kanawha do you live? I used to live in White Sulphur, but that's a good bit away from the chemical valley. Attended Marshall for undrgrad and grad school so I know the area. You didn't give exact GPS coordinates so those in Oz and Canada might misunderstand(although half of Canada seems to pass through West Virginia on their way to Florida every year, so go figure). It'd be kinda nice if people on this newsgroup would realize that they are in a much smaller subgroup than any nationality they could possibly imagine and start remembering that we are all citizens of Earth and breath the same air and share the same biology regardless of latitude or hemisphere. Last I counted(not that I do that very often) there were only about 50 people who post to this newsgroup regualrly. Most of them from the U.S., Canada and Australia. Hardly a representation of a world wide web. Kinda Anglo-centric, actually... Having been across the border between the U.S. and Canada a few times, I find that the air in Canada and the U.S. hovers over the North American continent, just like Mexico. For that matter, it doesn't stop flowing when it meets some arbitrary political boundary. I'd like to think that the fine people who feel fit to post on this news group consider themselves model railroaders and can get beyond the fact that they might live in a different political intity than that of some of the rest of us. We are all much more connected by our humanity than we are divided by our nationality sometimes seems to be lost on a lot of people. I have been following this news group for the past nine years and there's a whole lot less true real content than there used to be. Some of the prolific posters from this group have gone on to greater rewards, but a lot of people have simply stopped posting here and gone to more controlled forums. I really miss Big John Dalton a lot right now....

Claude Allen Grumpier than I remember...

"Ken Day" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Claude H. Allen

Claude H. Allen spake thus:

Not to mention all white and male, without a single exception, I'd bet.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hi Ken (and the rest of the readers of this newsgroup) -

I'm Stein, and I'm located in Sorumsand - which is a small town about 25 miles (40 kilometers) east of Oslo, in the Kingdom of Norway. (Umm - no, that is not in North America or Australia :-).

Norway do have trains, and has had trains since 1854, but the entire Norwegian state railroad system (NSB) is about the size of a regional in the US - about 10 000 employees, 73 electric engines, 30 diesel engines,

145 EMU (Electric Motor Units), 32 DMU (Diesel Motor Units), 220 passenger cars and 2300 freight cars, according to their latest financial statement. The engines are mainly adaptations of Swedish or German/Swiss engines.

My railroad modelling interests are mainly centered on US post-transition era diesels and local freight operations in the US midwest. I am currently working on a layout based on the Minnesota Transfer Railway ca 1960-1965, a class I (at the time) terminal/interchange road jointly owned by 9 class I railroads running to Minneapolis and/or Saint Paul in Minnesota.

Still in the planning/aquisition stage - have a rough plan for two small layouts - one representing the main interchange yard of the MTRY and the other a shelf layout representing local switching on the MTRY. In a *small* room - only about 11 1/2' x 6 1/2' - will be operated with one or max two people.

Have bought a few engines (One Alco S-1 to be repainted in MTRY colors, a Northern Pacific GP-7, a Great Northern GP-30), a bunch (about 60) of 40' and 50' railroad cars of various kinds (boxcars, reefers, hoppers - open and covered, tank cars, flatcars, cabooses), tracks (Peco flextrack code

75), a DCC controller and a power supply, various kits for city/industrial buildings etc.

Don't expect to get a chance to do much actual building until late fall this year - other (non-train related) projects must be completed first :-)

Here is a link to a few railroad related web pages under my home page:

Grin, Stein

Reply to
Stein R

Stein R spake thus:

What, no steam?

Just kidding. But really, there must be some steam running on excursion or tourist lines, no?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

My name is Brian Smith, I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, the capital city of Nova Scotia. On the east coast of Canada.

I model in HO scale and have just recently re-entered the hobby. Two decades ago (or more) I used to model in N scale, but after careful consideration decided that the reentry would have to be in a scale that I could see .

Reply to
Brian Smith

G'day Ken.

My name is Ron McFarlane. I live in Berwick, about 45 miles SE of Melbourne; which is ths capital city of Victoria, Australia's second most populous state.

My interest is the AT&SF railroad (or rather its subsidiary the GC&SF) in southern Oklahoma, in 1960

I started in N scale in the late 60's after seeing some Con-Cor stuff (including the 'legendary' PA1) in a local chemist shop (pharmacy). They had more SF stuff than anything else, so that's what I bought; and I've been buying it ever since. My interest in the GC&SF began when Model Railroader mag ran its series of articles on the Washita and Santa Fe. Through the internet, I've made a lot of friends in southern Oklahoma who've provided me with a pile of information and photos to help me along. If anyone would like to share information, I'd love to hear from them - locomcf AT yahoo DOT com DOT au (don't forget the 'au' at the end).

I'm currently building an N scale layout in a purpose built, 18' x 20' train room. The layout models the towns from Ardmore to Pauls Valley, and features staging yards at each end. It is intended to be operated as a point-to-point layout, but I've included a hidden connection that allows continuous running as well. The layout was conceived, and is being built, as a DC/cab control layout, for 4 operators. However, our group has now grown to over a dozen guys, so I'm intending to someday switch to DCC (just so I can run more trains concurrently).

BTW, Ken - this was a great idea.

Best regards to all, Ron Australia

***
Reply to
RonMcF

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:444099a6$0$3697$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Oh yes. We have several steam trains running around the country. Steam trains were used in regular traffic until about 1960 or so.

You can see pictures of the local one here I live at my webpage:

"tertitten" - a narrow gauge tertiary railroad (side line) build in the late 1800s, which ran daily using steam power until 1960, and then was converted into a museum railroad kept running by local enthusiasts. Only

4 kilometers of the original 57 can still be used.

Tertitten:

Also, they run a fairly big steam operation at Krøderbanen, north of Drammen, between Vikersund and lake Krøderen - 26 kilometers.

Krøderbanen:

And at Setesdalsbanen, north of Kristiansand, where a six kilometer long stretch is still preserved and in use as a museum railroad. My great grandfather Petter Hansen Rypern was one of the many people who worked on building and maintaining this line: Setesdalsbanen RR:

On the west coast there is old Vossebanen near Bergen:
Should be a handful of others as well. Plus the opertunity to rent a train for an excursion on regular tracks. Don't know who operates the rent a historic train operation, though - just know that such an operation exists.

Grin, Stein

Reply to
Stein R

I live about 30 miles west of Kanawha county , in the tri-state area. Approx 15 min from Ohio and Kentucky.

White Sulpher springs is about 3 1/2 hrs from where I live. I used to spend a good bit of time there.

Well said.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Ken Day replied: Bill......I don't think you're paying attention. Been hanging around this group a long time. Read this line again

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Oops! Sorry, Ken.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

I'm over here in Northwest, New Jersey, USA. Finally got a layout of the DL&W's Sussex Branch started. I'm just about out of the acquisition phase, although there's still stuff coming out for my railroad.

I guess I'm still coming into the hobby as I doubt my first layout (from when I was 10-11) counts as much. I've dabbled in scratch building and kitbashing and like what I'm discovering I can accomplish.

Sussex Branch is pretty much passenger and milk trains, and short freights. The stations were in decline, but the track was still in god shape until abandonment in 1966. I model about 1953.

Dave Rutan

Reply to
Dave Rutan

The web-site is great Dave, especially the links. I've just downloaded a bunch of maps. Thanks for that!!

What's the climate like in the attic?

Regards, Ron

***
Reply to
RonMcF

Not ideal, I assure you, but it's really the only space I have. Sunny days in late fall and early spring it's quite livable up there. Dead of winter it's chilly, but not below freezing or anything. Summer is hot, but the window air conditioner helps out.

Dave Rutan

Reply to
Dave Rutan

I don't have any windows in my train room, and it is fully insulated in the walls and roof. Once the room heats up it can take quite a while to cool down. On thing I didn't think of was the amount of heat generated by a dozen guys running trains. Even on the coldest nights in the dead of winter we operate with the door open, otherwise it gets uncomfortably warm.

Ron

***
Reply to
RonMcF

Hi Ken:

Ah, another CASS fan! Cass is a GREAT place indeed.

As for the largest Shay, it's true that it once worked at Cass, and was actually BUILT there. Cass (GC&E back then, later Mower) No. 12 was built as a 150 ton 3-truck Shay. This loco was then enlarged at Cass with the additon of a fourth truck to become a 203 ton 4-truck Shay. That was by far the largest Shay ever, though NOT built as such by Lima.

MUCH later, in 1945, Lima built a near duplicate of the original 3-truck #12, modernized with a girder frame and piston valves, for the western Maryland as their No. 6. That is the loco now at Cass. It's especially appropriate there, as it's so nearly the same as the old Cass No. 12.

As for the largest Shay ever built by Lima, that title goes to KCS #900, a 164 ton monster 3-truck. This loco is little known, as it was a quite early Shay (for one so large), and labored in relative obscruity. One of the magazines recently had an article on it.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Good stuff, Stein - thanks for sharing that.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

Hi. My name is Bruce Favinger. I live near Dallas, Texas. I've been model Railroading all my life as my dad was a model railroader and started me out early. When I was little my father was in HO but never gave up O scale (two rail). At one point we had a multi scale layout that even had a small section of S scale. When I was about five we were living in Cheyenne Wyoming and we saw a lot of the UP. On a trip to Colorado we saw what was left of the 3 footers and I've been fascinated with narrow gauge railroads ever since. That interest expanded to include shortline railroads of all types and gauges. Right now I'm modeling a 1910-1920 era shortline called the Texas Midland in HO standard gauge. I don't have a lot of equipment for it yet. Like my dad I'm not devoted to one scale. I have some equipment in On3,On30, Sn3, HO and HOn3 though most of my trains are HOn3. I will probably build a small HOn3 layout again if I can ever find some space for it. I also have a new portable HO timesaver I just finished with six late 70's to early 80's cars and a Santa Fe CF7. I like history and that ties in well with model railroading. I also have an interest in WW1 aircraft and build a model of one every now and then but mostly read about them. My son saw some kids launching rockets a few years back and he instantly became a Model Rocket fan, so now I build some of those too. It kinda fun. His interest is graduating to RC planes so I guess my modeling will expand a bit more in the near future. I've had a life long interest in horses, trains and the flying aces. I work with horses for a living, play with trains for fun and read about the adventures of the early flyers at bed time. About the same as when I was eight years old. Never grew up. I'm still surprised when I look in the mirror to see those lines on my face and those gray hairs. When the heck did that happen? Bruce

"Ken Day" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Bruce Favinger