Hooking up Transformer

OK, I'm new. I just bought an MTH Z-1000 transformer and have no clue how/where to hook the wires from the track. I have two MTH connector tracks and have put them at opposite ends of my 11 ft. oval. I'm running an O-gauge Railking Challenger and 5 Premier passenger cars. Do I hook the leads from the track to the transformer itself or to the controller? Do I twist the leads together (++, --) and then screw them onto the back of the transformer? One screw on the transform says "+" and the other "-". BUT, on my power-connecting track it lists a "U" and an "A", I think. What goes where? I'm using 16 gauge wire.

Kent in SD

Reply to
Two23

Kent, the way the wires should go is from the transformer to the controller input. Then connect the wires from the track (++, --) to the output terminals of the controller. The Z1000 has a fixed 14VAC output for powering accessories- do not hook the track wires to this output, as you will have no control. Since you say you just bought the Z1000, you should have a manual that will tell you how to hook it up. If it came without instructions, you should still have a warranty card. On that card is MTH's phone number. Give them a call(I don't know if they'll be open friday 12/26). If all else fails, you could try getting an answer from someone on the O Gauge RR forum- website is

I'm a member there, and if the forum can't answer your question, i'd be very surprised. Hope this helps :>)

Reply to
NEVYEN

I did indeed find help on the OGR message board. It continues to amaze me! Transformer did not come with instructions! I suppose they figure that anyone who orders something like that knows what they're doing, LOL! I did get a train to go, finally.

Kent in SD

Reply to
Two23

As far as I know, all transformers come with both instructions and warranty cards. If yours does not have either, then it was opened in the store and the papers got left out when it was re-packed.

Two23 wrote:

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Reply to
Roe Thomas