Is Lionel comaptible with Marklin 1 ?

Folks,

I am looking for an alternative for Marklin 1 gage ... mainly freight cars... I run across lionel ... they seem somewhat ok quality for ok price (seems cheaper then M*)...

Does anybody know if they are compatible? I am not concerned about couplers but wheels and tracks... Will the run on a marklin track?

Are lionel 3 rail? In this case its probably not worth isolating the wheels?

Is there anything else that would work?

Any input apreciated :)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Lang

Matt=A0Lang) Folks, I am looking for an alternative for Marklin 1 gage ... mainly freight cars... I run across lionel ... they seem somewhat ok quality for ok price (seems cheaper then M*)... Does anybody know if they are compatible? I am not concerned about couplers but wheels and tracks... Will the run on a marklin track? Are lionel 3 rail? In this case its probably not worth isolating the wheels? Is there anything else that would work?

---------------------------------------------------- Lionel 3-rail is (approx.) 0 scale (1:48) and the track is 0 gauge. Lionel also offers 2-rail large scale trains but I believe those are

1:20 (narrow gauge on #1 track).

If Marklin 1 Gauge is 1:29, there are several manufacturers of #1 (1:29) scale trains incliuding:

USA Trains:

Aristocraft:

You might find more information from one of the Yahoo! Groups:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Maerklin I gauge is the correct 1:32 scale to match the track gauge. Lionel is a bastard scale 1:29 or about 10% oversize in an attempt to get into the "G" scale narrow gauge market as well as I scale.

45mm / 1435mm = 1 : 31.9

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Greg P. wrote: Maerklin I gauge is the correct 1:32 scale to match the track gauge. Lionel is a bastard scale 1:29 or about 10% oversize in an attempt to get into the "G" scale narrow gauge market as well as I scale.

45mm / 1435mm = 1 : 31.9

----------------------------------------------------- Thanks, Greg. I'll try to remember this.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

yeah the Maerklin is 1:32 .... are there any alternatives for that scale? I dont like the LGB like narrowtrack scale models for Gaouge 1

Matt

the "G" scale narrow gauge market as well as I

Reply to
Matt Lang

Yes, Matt, there is! MTH Electric Trains has gotten into Gauge 1 in the last year or so. The company is producing engines and rolling stock in 1:32 scale. Here is the website:

Hope this helps!

Reply to
NEVYEN

Matt, I unfortunatly don't know a lot- I've seen the Challenger at the NMRA convention, it was impressive. Sound, smoke, and very smooth movement. I'm an O gauger, and I own several dozens of items from MTH,both engines and rolling stock. They are top quality. I will assume that the Gauge 1 items are of similar quality until I see otherwise. Hope this helped, and enjoy your gauge 1 empire!

Reply to
NEVYEN