modeling shortline railroads

What is everyone's opinion on the shortline boom in real rairoads that really took off in the 1990's? They seem easrier to model than a class 1 but they lack the offical railroad atmosphere that previous Class 1 operators gave to the lines. For example, where I live, RailAmerica now operates the former White River Division of the Missouri Pacific in northern Arkansas. The local traffic is ok and the empty coal trains are fine but since the major thru freight is gone, the line seems like nothing more than a glorified industrial siding. No more hotbox detectors next to the tracks, no more varied power hook ups like SD40-2's, they have not run here in 10-15 years. The shortline is good in preserving local rail service but to a railfan, it can be one of your worst nightmares because the variety is gone. Former rail stops that were important to a thru freight now are maybe nothing more than a maintenance shed. Grass and weeds tend to grow up more on the mainlines. Train service staff is cut to bare minimum, it all seems like such a waste. Yards and sidings that were used to manage traffic now just set empty. Even the rolling stock is rusty and worn out looking, not the color and variety that was on thru freights whick to me represented the strenght of American business and industry. The variety of rolling stock is also limited to mainly covered hoppers. No more auto racks, piggy back cars, HI-Cube 80' auto parts cars, TANKTRAIN tank cars, etc, etc.. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Reply to
A. Paul

Actually I prefer today's shortlines & regionals over their Class 1 counterparts. Most shortlines are friendly towards railfans who behave accordingly. Besides you can't beat the sights, sounds and character of older locomotives that are so common on shortlines.

Since you're in the northern Arkansas area, you should check out the A&M sometime. Tonnage on the A&M is up, so they're pretty busy. Plus with an all ALCO locomotive roster, kept in immaculate condition, it just doesn't get any better than that! It's a first class operation.

Just my $0.02

Reply to
Leroy

Dear Mr. Paul, Yes. When Conrail stopped running trains through on the Corry- to-Meadville section of the Erie main line, this is about what happened here. Now, Conrail was by no means a short line, but the effect was the same. There was still the chance of an interesting sight, from time to time. I remember solid trains of DODX flatcars carrying tanks, for instance, but I don't know where they were headed.

When this line was taken over by the Northwest PA Rail Authority, the freight traffic did not change much, but I have to say the variety improved a bit. We had the NY & LE's Alco FA's! That was a neat sight.

Now this line is being operated by the Western New York & Pennsylvania, and this strikes me as a decent company. In particular I saw one very hopeful sign...a track maintenance crew! Now that is some variety from the recent past. It also helps that they are running C424's. This area is becoming an Alco paradise nowadays... Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski

I am about to start a layout, 4'x16' and will be modeling the Credit Valley Railroad that ran from Toronto to Orangeville and branchline to Elora. All in south central Ontario.

It was in existence from 1871-1891, then it was bought by CP.

Steam locomotives will either be 4-4-0 (for passenger service), 2-6-0 or

4-6-0 (for freight service)

Rolling stock will consist of 34' Overton class cars for Passenger Service. and assorted "old tyme" freight cars... 36' Box, Stock and Reefers. 26' Tank and 30' flat and gondola cars. Also small wooden cabooses.

Buildings I hope to scratch build, my father used to do this, so I watched when I was younger. Buildings will be similar to the Campbell Scale Minatures line.

Right now though I am in the planning stage, probably won't start laying tracks until April or May.

Reply to
<wiley

Alco paradise nowadays...

From what I've heard the WNY&P will be getting additional Alco power in the form of C430's (ex M&E) and a lone C630 (ex CP). It's quite possible these new units may even be on the property already. Talk about Alco heaven!

Reply to
Leroy

They've been in use @ Falconer NY for a few mos. still in M&E pt. but lettered for NYWP. C630 is also @ Falconer. Check Elwood's site for pix. Don

Reply to
Maycop

Modelling a shortline can be fairly rewarding. If you're doing a specific prototype, it'll give you things to model that don't quite look as pristine as the BNSF racetrack, for example. On the Protolance or Freelance side, you can work up your layout and put in all kinds of oddball motive power (presuming your shortline is large enough. For somebody who's limited in space and can't put together a representation of a Class I and/or can't decide on what to model, a nice, shortline might be the ticket.

Also, a shortline gives you a lot of operational potential, since most every train is a local and there's switching everywhere along the way....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)