HO Locos

I would like to build an American layout HO scale. Can anyone advise me on what rail companies I can run on a layout especially if I build a switching yard or fiddle yard. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" wrote in news:8VaVg.80489$aP3.35394 @fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Any company :-)

No, seriously - what preferences do you have: Steam or diesel ? Passenger or Freight ? Plains or mountains ? Rural or urban scenery ?

Stein

Reply to
Stein R

Freight trains were and are always a mixture of cars from different roads. So you can purchase just about any freight car from any railroad and be prototypical. If you have a yen for locomotives from a number of different railroads, you can model a major rail center like Chicago which used to be served by a lot of different roads. Or, you can model railroading as of the year 2006 where the few surviving roads have "run thru power" agreements. Here in Boston MA you can see Denver and Rio Grande Western locomotives running into town on ex Conrail (now CSX) tracks. A little modeler's license will allow you to operate just about any locomotive that strikes your fancy, just say they have a run thru power arrangement with the foreign road. Since about 1975 all passenger equipment is Amtrak. Before that, passenger trains had "home road" power and some home road cars, but also had Pullman company sleepers and foreign road baggage and sleepers as well. Metropolitan railroad stations in big cities always passenger trains from several different railroads coming and going.

David Starr

Reply to
David Starr