Re: Marklin H0 and U.S.A HO

I currently have an old HO Marklin train kit that I would like to

> expand but have noticed that Marklin trains are very costly compared > to US manufactures. I would like to know if any US HO trains are > compatible with Marklin. The track that came with the Marklin set is > M-track.

M-track was discontinued around 2001 - it had been in production since

1935 so there is some second-hand stuff about. There is nothing made in the US that is compatible.
> > Kurt
Reply to
Gregory Procter

=>I currently have an old HO Marklin train kit that I would like to =>expand but have noticed that Marklin trains are very costly compared =>to US manufactures. I would like to know if any US HO trains are =>compatible with Marklin. The track that came with the Marklin set is =>M-track. =>

=>Kurt

There are several areas of incompatibility between Marklin's HO and every other HO system in the world.

a) Power: Marklin uses alternating current, everybody else uses direct current. Thus, engines need adaptation

b) Track: Marklin track is three rail or stud-contact - the centre line of studs carries the control current, the rails are the return or ground half of the circuit. Everybody else uses one rail for control, the other for ground. Hence, Marklin locos need adaptations to run on everybody else's track and vice versa.

c) Wheel insulation: On older Marklin rolling stock, wheels are not insulated, everybody else's wheels are insulated. You can use non-Marklin rolling stock on Marklin track but not the other way round. Gneerally, speaking., converting wheels is ranges from dead easy (just change wheels sets) to fairly complicated (ream out journals, shorten axles, etc.)

d) Couplers; Marklin has its own style of coupler. N. American models generally come with one of two types of coupler, "horn-hook" and "knuckle", neither of which is compatible with Marklin.

e) Wheel and Track standards: differences on these show up when cars roll through turnouts (track switches.)

IOW, to use typical N. American models w/ Marklin, you will have to do some adaptations. Whether that is worth it to you is a question only you can answer. Also, with a few exceptions aimed at the N American market (and built to N. American standards), Marklin's models are of European trains, which of course are quite different from N. American ones.

HTH

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Dear Sir, You can overcome the AC problem by running the Marklin trains on DC, which they can use with no trouble. I have a copy of Model Railroader from the 70s which has a layout that combined Marklin and American equipment. For example, the owner had an MDC old-timer 2-8-0 which he fabricated a contact shoe for, putting it on the tender. He did say the different track standards required some fudging. I will try to find that magazine and tell you which one it was. Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski