how do seam locomotives run?

I remember reading a book on how steam engines worked more than 60
years ago.
I must confess the details I read about then have escaped me.
I'd appreciate your referring me to a book which describes, explains,
or whatever how a steam locomotive works and what all the various
domes, etc do.
(it would be nice if it were organized on an historical basis, but
I'll appreciate whatever comes up.
Reply to
larry l.
Here is a start. LTG :)
Reply to
Lloyd Olson
I remember reading a book on how steam engines worked more than 60 years ago. I must confess the details I read about then have escaped me. I'd appreciate your referring me to a book which describes, explains, or whatever how a steam locomotive works and what all the various domes, etc do. (it would be nice if it were organized on an historical basis, but I'll appreciate whatever comes up. ------------------------------------------------- These sites might have the info you are looking for:
Rob's How a Steam Engine Works Page:
Steam Locomotive dot com:
History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:
Bill
Not too bad, actually.
Andy
Reply to
Andyroo111
They don't run, they go on wheels.
But seriously, if you go to
is a down-loadable valve gear simulator which will show you how the front-end works.
There's also a steam locomotive simulator at

Christopher A. Lee
"larry l."
Larry, they still work the same way today. ;-)
-- Cheers Roger T.
of the Great Eastern Railway
Reply to
Roger T.
First, go here and read this article - it has great diagrams of a working steam engine:
One excellent book about Steam engines is called "Superpower: The Making of a Steam Locomotive" by David Weitzman. The ISBN number is 087923671X.
Here's a link to it on Amazon.com:
My city library has 5 copies, so your local library might have it as well. If they don't, you should ask if it is available through Inter-library Loan.
The book is about the design and construction of Berkshire Steam Locomotives in Lima, OH. It's got some great illustrations. It's more of a childrens book, but I think anyone would enjoy it.
Reply to
Neb Okla
An excellent page on steam locomotives is at:
and the links are all very good, as well.
All the best,
Mark.
Reply to
Mark Newton