Minimum O31... the fine print

I just received a Stationsounds Diner advertised by Lionel as "Minimum Radius: O-31." In the manual is the Caution: Be sure that the switch motors on your
track turn-outs are placed on the outside of the curves. The car will not clear switch motors placed on the inside." I can't believe this information isn't available until after you receive the car. Well my loyout cannot support the switch motors on the outside and clearance is short by a fraction (1/8"?) of an inch. Any ideas or other solutions? I'm using original Lionel 3- rail tube track and have 027 switches. Are there remote motors that would run these switches?

Of course they are "022" switches, not 027.
mseifert wrote:

Flame me if I'm wrong, but O27 switches have a 27" radius, meaning that those patrons in the diner are going to have soup in their laps for sure!
The 022 is the model number of the O31 switches - with a 31" diameter. So 31" is the minimum curve of my layout. They still are ending up with soup in their lap when the car hits the casing!
video guy - www.locoworks.com wrote:

There is nothing significant just under the Lionel O-22 switch motor cover in the area closest to the rails, so you could consider filing away the offending 1/8" of cover if there are just a few switches at issue. I you have lots of switches that are all going to cause a problem, you could consider removing the trucks from the diner and reattaching them with shims or washers to raise the car enough to pass over the inside corner of the O-22 switch motor.
It would be possible to remove the O-22 switch motor and substitute a separate switch machine of the type 2-rail scale modelers use. Removing the switch motor gives open access to the underside of the O-22 moving points assembly, but it also removes all of the electrical contacts that make the O-22 such a nice product, so you would lose the non-derailing feature and the route indication on the O-22C switch controller on you control panel. If you select a robust O (or maybe better G) separate switch machine with DPDT electrical contacts, it should be possible to connect it so as to restore these features of the O-22, but it'll be a whole lot more work than the filing or washer options above. Geezer
Geezer, Thank you for your suggestions. I've been contemplating the filing off of the cover and I appreciate knowing that there is nothing close to the rails behind it. I also wondered about shimming it up, so at your suggestion I will take a closer look at whether that can work. Since I have 6 other cars in the set, changing the height of just one car might be ascethetically unacceptable. I will probably go with the first option. --Michael