Model trains becoming less popular.

And an incredibly long shelf of them :-).

I was lucky. I worked on Univac and GE computers till minicomputers appeared and then switched to Modcomp and realtime. Only IBM equipment I had more than a passing acquaintance with was an 1130 (a mini?).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Never worked on their hardware, but used System 38 and and 4381 stuff, and came to hate VMAS - the manuals for ver. 5 were worse than the ones for ver. 4 - the overpaid IBM techs trying to learn about what they were supposed to be helping out on always went back to the v4 manuals to look stuff up.

Reply to
Steve Caple

On a much more brighter note:

"Model Train Firm Hornby 'Best Sales since Mid-70s'"

UK Mon. Jan. 31, 2005

Hornby produces its models in China.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

There is another factor as well. As the population ages, a lot of the older model trainers are dying. Their trains, layouts, and so forth are going up for sale in estate and garage sales across the country. There is a lot of used equipment out there, and more coming. Manufacturers and retailers have that as competition.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

Marklin is sacking most of it's _German_ staff and moving production to China and Eastern Europe.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

And here's a couple of articles on the Lionel front. First, a very extensive article on the background and trying of the MTH-Lionel lawsuit:

Next, Lionel gets a helping hand with their bankruptcy:

Rick Jones

Another sidenote:

A few days after they announced the layoffs, the maerklin company musemum was robbed. According to maerklin the damage is ~1.000.000 euros. There was more than one person thinking "insurance fraud" at this moment.

Reply to
Werner Appler