MRC TECH II power pack

One of my power packs is a MRC TECH II Railmaster 2400. It is old, but still performs flawlessly. There is something rattling around inside
the case that is really bugging me. I tried to unfasten the case halves to eliminate the rattler, but I don't seem to have the right screwdriver to open the case. An email to MRC was returned from one of their techs that said the fastener was a "security" screw. No other data provided.
Has anyone been able to unfasten the case halves of one of these power packs ? What did you use?
Any and all replies are much appreciated.
Jungle Jim spake thus:

There are only so many screw head types in the world; "security" screws can mean any one of several types. Looking at the screw heads, do they have holes in them, like a socket-head screw? If so, they could be Torx-type screws, or spline-head screws. You can probably get screwdriver bits for all these types, plus stranger ones like the ones with two holes in them, at your local hardware store.
Just examine the screw head carefully (if you're like me, that'll mean using a magnifier).
They're probably trying to reinforce that old "no user-serviceable parts inside" mantra that manufacturers like to chant to their customers.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a

Jungle Jim wrote:

It is a security screw. DO NOT OPEN THE CASE - YOU COULD BE INJURED OR KILLED ATTEMPTING TO SERVICE THIS UNIT.
That being said, I have heard that if you were to send the unit back to NJ for repair, they would open it with a "T-8" - Tamper Torx Screw Driver #8. Expect to pay ~$20.00 for a driver with a narrow enough shank. Check Snap-On, MAC, MatCo, Cornwell.
Or, don't shake your pack anymore.
Rob
trainfan1 spake thus:

I don't think so: try less than $5 for a bit (and that's an expensive one from Wiha): http://www.wihatools.com/701serie.htm
I think Ace hardware stores carry these bits (use with any standard hex-shank removeable-bit screwdriver).
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]
Canadian Tire has a whole set of them for about $20. Very handy. Lots of appliances have these screws, as do some components on the car.
NB that some "security screws" can be driven in but not out. They are Phillips screws, and there's a slope on the side of each slot so that if you try to unscrew it, the driver just slips out. I haven't seen the old Tech II, so I don't know if that's what they have.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I do think so. And I know so. The insert bits WILL fit the screw head, but the shank to hold the bit will NOT fit into the deep small diameter recess of the MRC pack.

Bits, maybe, but the shank to hold the bit will NOT fit into the deep small diameter recess of the MRC pack.
This is what you need:
http://www.cornwelltools.com/OnlineCatalog/Common%20Service/Resources/catalog193.gif
The TSD-8 in the middle of the left column.
Rob
trainfan1 spake thus:

http://www.cornwelltools.com/OnlineCatalog/Common%20Service/Resources/catalog193.gif

Or this: http://www.wihatools.com/362trSF.htm
Notice the price for the T-8 driver (about 7 bucks).
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

THAT one will work. How much is shipping? It looks like $8.68 is the minimum... so about $15.64. I think I paid my tool guy ~$17.00 off the truck w/ a lifetime warranty, delivery & weekly check-ups included.
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

I don't think they are torx. If I am not mistaken MRC uses a three bladed screw head. I have gotten them out with needle nose pliers. The correct tip is available from tool suppliers.

CK:
Right. The OP should look in the phone book for industrial tool suppliers and bring cash...some of these places have a minimum credit or check order but not too many, I find, reject currency.
You could also file up a suitable tip.
If the screws are in fact "Tamper Torx" types, then you can break off the central peg, then use a regular Torx bit, if the warranty is expired.
Cordially yours: Gerard P
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

No, you can't. It's too deep to get to, & too small to break off the post w/o mangling the rest of the screw head.
Rob
then use a regular Torx bit, if the warranty is expired.

:-)
tf1:
The OP could buy a "Tamper Torx" screwdriver, but the way we do it in the logging camps is to just break off the central peg of the TT screw, then use a regular Torx driver, as long as the unit's out of warranty anyway.
Cordially yours: Gerard P.
snipped-for-privacy@gannon.edu wrote:

No, you can't. It's too deep/recessed to get to, & too small to break off the post w/o mangling the rest of the screw head. T-8 is pretty *#&$ tiny.
It's hard enough to see way down in there just to see what style the screw head is in the first place, let alone maneuvering some even smaller tool to break off the post while not being able to see what you're doing.
Rob
as long as the unit's out of

For what it's worth , here is a site that carries tamper proof screws with pictures of the different types. I'm sure they have pics of the type in your power supply. Pretty sure they're Torx.
http://www.tamperproof.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products
Here is a 6 piece set of Torx tamper proof drivers for $7.97. They also have a very good selection of other drivers.
http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/screwdriver-tamper-proof/SAA3-616C
Ken