MRC Dual Pack 770N Question

Just recently bought a Dual Pack 770N at a Flee Market for $3.00 Can't go wrong with that price Only problem is that I didn't realize it was fo N guage. Can I run HO with this powersupply? I guess I can't see the difference. M

Reply to
mstrspy

Check the output specs, they should be printed on the outside of the case. If it delivers 12VDC and 500ma or more, you can run two or more recent (eg Proto2000, Kato, etc) locos with it. Only one older Athearn, though, they're power hogs.

If it doesn't show the amperage for the DC output, check the total power output. If it's 7VA or more, you're OK to use it with HO, but 7VA is minimal power (about 1/2amp at 12VDC, zero AC demand.)

This p/p will not be adequate as a booster for a DCC district, however.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

The MRC 770N is rated as #1: 12v DC/15v AC, 8va. #2: 12v DC/12v DC,

8va. This is a nice power pack. I've used one for 25 years (on N scale). It should be fine for HO.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Reply to
mstrspy

The only difference between that and the comparable HO pack is the resistance of the rheostats. If you're only running modern low-current draw locomotives, you won't notice much difference if any. If you have any older high draw (like Hobbytowns, vintage brass, or older Athearn Blue Box, or anything with Pittman type motors) you'll find that most of the speed regulation is compressed at the upper end of the dial. Not earth-shaking, you can live with it.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman