Filling in Wood Grains Question

I am building the Billings Boats US Coast Guard Nr. 586 rescue boat,
the big model.. It was already started by someone else, just the
below deck hull bottom parts, when I bought it at a bargain price.
Over the years I tried to build it but the parts didn't seem to come
together and I couldn't quite figure out why. I guess the original
owner had the same problem. Recently I had another go at it and
realize that the kit had a major parts problem. The main deck which
should be flush with the gunwales isn't in the kit's die cut parts.
Its as much as an inch lower into the hull. Of course nothing else in
the superstructure will assemble to look like the box illustration.
Anyway to cut a long story short I plotted the lines and made a
correct deck out of door skin plywood.
I need to make the plywood as smooth as plastic so to say. What kind
of filler should I use? I will sand it and seal with Varathane once
smoothed.
I need the same solution for redoing the trim on my house doors and
closets too. The sealer recommended by the paint shop still leaves
the wood grain showing through the paint. Someone suggested that the
wood filler used for renovations is just ordinary drywall mud.
Somehow I am not convinced that drywall mud will stand up to the
knocks and bumps from model RC operation. Comments?
Reply to
PaPa Peng
PaPa Peng wrote the following:
How about Bondo auto body filler?
Reply to
willshak
Will try. Offhand I think the wood grain lines will be too shallow and thin for the Bondo to adhere to.
Reply to
PaPa Peng
I remember way back when, using super glue to seal wood. Brush it on, let it dry, sand and paint. YMMV.
Reply to
eyeball
Wood working techniques might be in order. Wet the surface to intentionally raise the grain, let dry completely and sand back to smooth. Also prepping the surface with wood specific finishes like hard floor acrylics..... Grain and hardness of the wood will be an issue. Talk to someone who refinishes furniture. They know about smooth.
Reply to
rfranklin
I would think a wood sanding sealer. hat's what I use on balsa, etc.
Reply to
frank
That technique is correct, but "wetting" it can be done with Varathane, sanded in between coats. Eventually the grain will be sanded smooth with finer sandpaper used with each coat. I've always used oil based, but the new water based products should work.
Reply to
unklbob