Working...

...I've actually been off work long enough to want to work on a model again - YEA!!! I'm back at my extra-long term, extended U-boat project.
Finally getting the deck closed up and ready for etch fitting. Which now has me wondering why I did all that work on teh pressure hull kit that will never be seen again...oh well...
One slight dilemma I've run into is that I've actually been able to locate 3-4 pictures of U255, the boat/scheme I was planning to do from the Ulad decal sheet...dilemma is that the pictures of the boat don't match the nice zebra pattern scheme on the decal sheet, and I can't find any other pics which might back up the decal sheet scheme. Given that the decal set is from a German publisher I'm thinking it should have been pretty well researched...but...
...but I think I'm going to stick with my original plan. Pictures will be up once/as/when I get some viewing-worthy progress completed.
--
- Rufus

the guys at the main german uboat site used to be able to tell a researcher where to look for pics. i don't know if they still do, but it's worth a shot, no? love to see nore pics when you have time. hope you're feeling ok, too. happy new year, bud!
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

I think I found that site - all in German, no pictures. But it looked interesting from the bit I could almost follow.

Not doing too bad...had to give myself another shot last night, oddest thing is that every other one burns like hell...
I need to get to a hobby shop and buy some more brass. I now think that what I got - 3/64" - is a bit thick for the rails I want to construct. I think I'd rather have 1/32" stuff. The deck is going down nicely, but I had to over-clamp it at the bow end - didn't quite sand the pressure hull to the right fit at that end, but it's snug now.
Lots and lots of tiny etched parts to start laying down now. And I'm still trying to figure out just how I'm going to paint the deck to get a worn painted wood look on the right parts of it. Going to be fun, though.
--
- Rufus

ouch i thought they had an english version, but i could be wrong. i like etch but it can be a real pain.
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

This set is probably the largest amount of the smallest parts I've ever had to deal with. Then there's all the soldering I need to do to make new railings out of brass rod - I did find some of the 1/32" stuff in my stash that I had bought and forgot about, but I think I'm going to need more of it.
Got the whole deck in place, now have a bit of putty work to do...I'm down to my last two tubes of Tamiya putty. Gotta find more...
--
- Rufus

i may be near some thursday. what's a good price and how much you need?
snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:

I'll likely be heading to Lancaster tomorrow (if the sun is still shining) - I need some boots resoled, hit Costco, etc. I'll just stop in at Smith's and get some...as far as the brass goes. They sed to have Tamiya putty as well - I have two unopened tubes, forget where I got them. So I can keep working but I'll want to replenish eventually.
Thanks, though.
--
- Rufus

anytime