Peco point motors - not working, please help

Hi,

I've just finished adding a staging yard to my N scale layout using Peco points and point motors (part no. PL-10E). When I tested the point motors in situ with an old powerpack, they weren't able to change the points. They just moved a slight bit then fell back to their original position.

I would appreciate help with this, as I have to switch four of these motors off the one button. Am I supposed to remove the springs from the turnouts, or is it just a question of having more current? And will a capacitor discharge unit allow me to do what I want to do?

Cheers, Daniel

Reply to
Danny B

No.

Yes. Four motors together just draw too much current -- a Peco motor draws about an amp, more if for some reason the motion is stiff.

Yes, a capacitor discharge unit will work just fine. Just make sure the capacitor is big enough to store and deliver enough current for the fraction of second needed. NB that a CDU may take several seconds to charge up again.

Or you could get a really hefty transformer, that puts out AC at 16-20V and delivers at least four amps. This will throw the four motors at once. And then some. Beware: you can burn out a Peco motor if you hold down the button for more than as second or so.

You might want to look into diode matrix wiring for your staging yard - simplifies the button pushing.

HTH&HF

Reply to
Wolf

Danny B skriver:

The springs needs to be there, but perhaps you need to adjust the spring. On the H0 scale PECO tracks, the spring tension is adjustable. If the spring is not there the drawbar goes back into the middle position ant your train derails.

The PCEO motor requires a lot of power to move.

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen