Need Advice with HO Loco Detailing

I have been modeling HO scale railroads for many years now and am frustarted at having a very hard time installing metal uncoupling bars to the front & rear pilots. I drill the holes just fine but when it comes to installing the bars with the metal ring pins that hold the uncoupling bars, it seem that when more than 2 pins are in place and trying to place the third one, the ones that are in place come out. I would appreciate if someone can point me to a good technique to getting the bars installed. I have already tried putting open pins alone in first and then closing them around the uncoupling bar but end up damaging something when attempting to close the pins with pliers.

Help & advice from other modeleres out there is most appreciated.

Martin

Reply to
Razzy735

What brand of couplers are you using? Your description doesn't tally with any that I know.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Oops, I misunderstood, I think I now understand what you're talking about.

Use handrail stanchions instead of split pins. You bend one end of the uncoupling bar as needed, thread the bar onto the stanchions, then bend the other end, then cement or solder the stanchions in place.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thank you Wolf. I am not sure what you mean by stanchions. I currently use eyebolts made of formed wire from Details Associates p/n

2206. What stanchions do you suggest?

Mart> Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Reply to
Razzy736

[...] Hi Martin,

Terms vary. The thingies that hold the coupler lift bars (or uncoupling levers, or...) are usually called brackets or stanchions. They're basically a ring mounted on a post, or a strap-iron loop formed around the lever and bolted or welded to the end beam. IMO anything that looks close is OK. Some people have used brass strip folded over the levers.

A few suppliers make actual coupling lever brackets or stanchions. Eyebolts are usable, depending on size and construction. The style where you have to pinch the eye over the wire is hard to use, I agree. The ones that thread onto the wire are easier to handle. Some lift rings look usable, too, if you cut away the part you don't need.

The following list is gleaned from the current Walthers catalog.

CalScale:

190-476 coupler lift bar w. stanchions $4.55 190-483 pipe clamps for 0.020" wire pk (10) $2.85 190-501 lift rings pk (20) $2.90

Detail Associates sells coupler lift bar brackets. These look like short eyebolts:

229-2213 plastic (16) $3.00 229-102213 brass )(8) $2.75

Tichy Train:

293-3037 eyebolts plastic pk (80) $3.00 These are the ones sold in their car kits, and look right for 0.010" wire (but I haven't measured them.)

Grandt Line:

300-5085 eyebolts assorted pk (108) $3.00 -- These are the type you thread onto the wire.

Smokey Valley handrail stanchions: these would have to cut down, as they are designed for diesel handrails. You'd have to examine the different styles to see which suits.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf,