Newbie questions

It's been decades since I cranked up my old Lionel trains so my question may sound dumb as I am years out of date. Thanks for your assistance.

  1. What is "fastrack?" I understand the difference between O and O27 gauge but fastrack is a new term to me.

  1. Lionel makes an accessory -- a crossing gate -- when the train approaches, a red-and-white striped arm drops down over the grade crossing and lights flash, just like on the big railroads. How do these work?? Do they come with a device that is tripped by the oncoming train or what? How do they turn off after the train has passed?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Regarding FasTrack, FasTrack is a track system that has a plastic roadbed...

A very popular book: "The Lionel FasTrack Book", by Robert Schleicher:

Lionel FasTrack:

History of N Scale:
's Store--Books, Trains, and Toys:
to 1,200 sites:

Bill

sites:

Oh, no. I shouldn't have looked at the fastrack -- just what I need

-- something else to help me spend my fixed income :-)

Now -- another question. As I understand it, O gauge is O gauge. O-27 is O guage track that, if formed into a circle, makes a 27-inch radius. O-31 makes a 31-inch radius, etc.

What are the various radii available? O-27, O-30, O-31, O-?? I assume you can't mix the various radius gauges -- that is, you must use O-27 with O-27 -- but -- if I had a main track with, say, O-27, I could use O-31 on a spur -- right?? And -- if a locomotive says it's made for O-31 radius, then, I can't run it on my O-27 track -- an O-27 locomotive will run on O-31 -- right?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my simple questions.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

sites:

quoted text -

Ooooops -- I should have said "O-27 = 27-inch DIAMETER," not radius -- ditto for O-31, etc. Sorry.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Steve Caple

The difference between a pastime and a hobby is a pastime is always fun and a hobby is an obsession.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Reply to
Dan