Newbie questions Lionel UP City Of Salina lubrication, spare parts; new locomotive lubrication

I recently acquired a pre-war Lionel Union Pacific "City Of Salina" (M-10000) passenger set (752W-753-753-754). It has not been run for years, possibly decades. I have been able to get the motor to run, I would like to know what I should lubricate it with, where to apply the lubrication and how much. I also am looking for repro or (preferably) original belly pieces for the 752W and 754, as they are badly warped. I also need the rear end "observation" piece for the 754 as the original has crumbled to pieces thanks to the concentration of lead in the zinc alloy (or so I've read). I also have a brand new pair of Williams NYC Fairbanks-Morse Trainmasters (1 powered, 1 dummy). I've been told they have not had their initial lubrication, where do they need lubricated, and again, what kind of oil should I use? How often should subsequent lubrications take place? Thanks!

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

Cliff Gallup

Cliff, while I can't give you the answers you are seeking, I can point you to a forum that specializes in O Gauge trains. I strongly suggest that you go to the O gauge Railroading forum, register,(it's free) and post your questions there. Web site is

I've been a member since 2001. It's the best place on the internet for O gauge trains. Hope this helps, and hope to see you there!

Reply to
NEVYEN

"Cliff Gallup" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I do not have a copy of the specofic lubrication instructions for the 752W, but in reviewing most of the other Lionel instructions, the rule they used was if it is a bronze oil-retaining bearing or bearing equiped with an oil-retating wick, use Lionel Oil, and if it is any other kind of bearing, use Lionel Lubricant (grease). Lionel generally used bronze bearings on the driving wheel axles, the motor armature shaft on the side opposite the brushes, and the armature shaft bearing of the whistle motor. The armature shaft end in the phenolic brush plate, steam loco side rods, pilot and trail truck axles, cars wheels, pick-up rollers, etc. are then all lubricated with grease. I find sewing machine oil, or a very light oil like "3 in 1" are suitable substitutes for Lionel Oil. I think "Light Machine Oil" or SAE 5 light motor oil are a little too heavy to be absorbed into the porous bearing material and wicks. Lionel Lubricant came in tubes and looked for all the world like Vaseline petroleum jelly. I see a substitute being offered at train shows, but I have had good results using ordinary Vaseline. Lionel used the grease as it had enough body to be retained in the metal on metal bearings for long periods of child operation between parentel maintenance sessions. Most of the pieces my collection sit of the display shelf, and only run for infrequent short display (OK play) sessions. I like to use a slightly heavier Light Machine Oil instead of grease on my trains as I find it is adequate for short operating sessions, and it is less messy to apply and easier to wipe off and less messy in storage. GQ

I like to buy repro Lionel parts from George Tebolt, who has a good listing of pre and post war parts at

or 518-392-2660. I did a quick look at his recent parts list and did not see the belly pieces listed, but if you contact them, they may be able to help you with what's available. I doubt you'll find any original replacement castings short of buying another complete 752 and 754. These parts frequently decay, and the good ones bring too much as an unrestored set.

Same as above.

Have fun! GQ

Reply to
Geezer

Sounds like a job for Lubriplate 110 brake lube white lithium grease.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Many thanks to all who replied!

Cliff