Computer Interfacing

Hi there, I like to use my computer to run my new layout, is using anyone or has used this system before??? Thanks Tony

Reply to
Tony Schumacher

Model Railroader has just finished a 3-part article (Jan-Mar 2004) on signalling systems using a computer/serial port. There have been past articles on using computers, some obsolete by now. Check the MR's index on American train mags at

There was also a series of books, 6 or so, by some Scandinavian named Freiberg (can't for the life of me remember his first name). The first 2 or 3 books dealt with analog electronics, the latter 2 or 3 dealt with DCC and possibly computer control.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

I run my little HOn30 layout (see

using Digitrax DCC, which utilises LocoNet. The LocoNet is, in turn, connected to a PC using a LocoBuffer (see
so that I can control locos, turnouts, routes, etc from a home-brew program. This program also provides a CTC panel.

In addition, I've written software for a PocketPC so that it can operate as a wireless throttle and mini CTC panel.

Jeff Law New Zealand

Reply to
Jeff Law

J> >I like to use my computer to run my new layout, is using anyone or has used J> >this system before??? J> J> Model Railroader has just finished a 3-part article (Jan-Mar 2004) on J> signalling systems using a computer/serial port. There have been past articles

It is a 4 part article. DCC is not covered -- it is about automating signals and sensing turnout states and block occupancy. Part 1 talks about the control module, part 2 talks about connecting the control module to the signals and sensors, part 3 talks about the computer software to deal with the signals and sensors. Part 4 (not out yet) will talk about an more advanced control module (more I/O pins).

It mostly talks about a 'new and improved' Bruce Chubb type interface (it is in fact written by Bruce Chubb). The control systems use RS232/RS422/RS485 interfaces -- your basic COM port.

Several of the various DCC systems available with RS232 (COM port) interfaces with various sorts of software (mostly for MS-Windows) to control them. There is also the Open Source JMRI (Java Model Railroad Interface) that will drive most of the various DCC systems -- visit

for more info and downloads.

(Most computers (still!) come with 2 RS232 ports, so you can use one for the Bruce Chubb interface to deal with signals, turnouts, and block detectors and the other to run the DCC booster (control the locos).

J> on using computers, some obsolete by now. Check the MR's index on American J> train mags at

There was also a series of books, 6 or J> so, by some Scandinavian named Freiberg (can't for the life of me remember his J> first name). The first 2 or 3 books dealt with analog electronics, the latter

2 J> or 3 dealt with DCC and possibly computer control. J> J> J> Jay J> CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest" J> J> J>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Tont wrote: I like to use my computer to run my new layout, is using anyone or has used this system before???

----------------------------------------------- Stefan Keller-Tuberg's "A Computer Controlled Train Set" website might have some helpful info:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Robert Heller wrote some informative stuff, including:

Right you are, and the JMRI pages even have an example of how someone has done just that (C/MRI and DCC interfaced with JMRI). Here's a direct link:

I use JMRI for all my decoder programming, and have built a dispatcher control panel similar in concept. However, I don't have signalling or automated control (yet) so I've used only the DCC part of JMRI's abilities for manual turnout control via the dispatcher's panel, and it's throttle abilities for an extra "road cab".

Steve

Reply to
Steve Martinak