How should I upgrade my computer to run solid works better?

I have a gaming rig, and it runs solidworks fine until I start w/ large assemblies with textures and such.

AMD X2 4000+

2 GB 800Mhz (PC6400) 7200RPM HDD Nvidia 7950 GT (512MB, 560Mhz)

I can SLI, but will that really help alot? I have 2 other RAM slots as well. I dont have a ton of cash to spend, so my question is what will make the biggest for the cash?

Reply to
thegreekulak

Stop using textures. The folks at solidworks that invented textures should be taken out and sacked.

bob z. p.s. pun was intentional...

Reply to
bob zee

textures or textiles?

Reply to
bill allemann

This topic just came up in our last User Group meeting. There was a general consesus that the #1 item reguarding speed is a good graphics card.

speed of the Mother Board. I believe that these have improved in the last couple of years but I suspect that this is possibly still the fundamental issue. I don't know for sure but can easily imagine that a lower end graphic card needs to rely on more of the Computers resources and even a little more, (then a high end graphics card) shuffling data through the back plane buss could still be the major factor.

I'm curious as to what others have found on this subject.

EdT

Reply to
Ed