Solid Works Kernel

Hi,

I heard from many friends working with Works that UGS is thinking about canceling the contract with DS. What will happen with Works without the parasolid kernel. Does somebody know if there are migration strategies for our files?

regards

buko

Reply to
buko

Can you tell us more about where you heard this and what exactly was said?

Reply to
P.

The question should be, why would UGS want to lo$e the licen$ing revenue$ and positive marketing SW has on Parasolid??

Anyhow, if this does for some reason happen and if SW starts using the ACIS kernel, it "should not" be a issue, according to SW Corp's past statements?? ..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Just who are these friends and where do they get their information? We're all engineering professionals, right? Shouldn't we be checking the validity of our sources?

I doubt there is much truth to the rumor as you state it. Parasolid is a product on the open market. It is openly advertised by UGS for licensing for use in CAD systems.

UGS is not going to unilaterally "cancel" its license to DS and just walk away from one of its best customer's money.

Reply to
That70sTick

Hey, that was my question. Given that buko has never posted before, has not responded and has a hotmail account this is probably some lurking marketeer from the competition trying to spread FUD.

And what the heck, AutoDesk switched kernels in midstream with no change in performance. So why couldn't SW? And then there are all the really good hybrid modelers out there running multiple kernals successfully (TIC).

Reply to
P.

Shape Manager? They bought ACIS 7 code and changed the name.

Just curious: Which are the "really good" ones?

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I wouldn't worry about it. I have been told by several SolidWorks Mangers on different occaisions, in different parts of the U.S. that SolidWorks has a working up to date version running on ACIS. So if Parasolid did dump SolidWorks (which would be a shock if it did) SolidWorks is ready.

Ken M.

Reply to
kmaren24

Solid Edge was ACIS based up until version 5 at which time they switched to Parasolid. The switch was fairly painless (open and save all files in the new version) and resulted in a more powerful, faster and reliable modeler.

Reply to
Ken