Truck crane lubrication

The truck crane that I have, is comprised of two parts, one is bolted to the truck bed and has a round vertical column, and the second part slides over the column and swivels. It has a lubrication port for a grease gun.

I want to put some grease in it, so that it does not rust inside, and also swivels more easily. My question is what grease to put. I generally have been using green marine grease everywhere, for example in casters that I keep outdoors 100% of time.

Would this also be appropriate here, given our cold winters.

By the way, the crane is supremely useful and I regret my wasted youth and all those years when I did not have this crane.

Ignoramus28147

Lubriplate marine lower unit grease? Works for me. I made wide tread replacement wheels for the industrial lifting equipment that I store and use outdoors and it has kept the welding-rod needle bearings from rusting. I drilled grease passages in the axle bolts and pump the bearings full for the winter because the back yard floods in the spring.

I don't think you want the crane to swivel too easily. If you park on a slope nose-down the load is likely to bang into the truck.

A pickup truck crane is really handy for working on outdoor power equipment. I've added lifting eyes to my lawnmower etc so I can put them on the tailgate when they need maintenance.

It's a 1950's motorized reel mower which needs frequent oiling and occasional home-made replacement parts.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That's a very clever use of grease. I wish I could find a liquid that could be used to reduce friction between moving parts. I wonder what it would be called.

No. You should use wd-40 on your crane parts. Be sure to remove all the old grease first.

Discovering a crane is very clever. I'd like to share with you a secret. It's called a "ladder". It has helped me not waste my youth by helping me reach things that are too high up.

If you ask around enough, you too may be able to obtain a "ladder". They're supremely useful to have.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yes, I mean that green clingy stuff. Just like for you, it works very well.

Good point.

How did you mount your crane? Is your crane the same kind?

Ignoramus28147

"Cydrome Leader" wrote: (clip) If you ask around enough, you too may be able to obtain a "ladder".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I have a couple of those. Should I stop using grease on them, and use WD-40 instead? Many members of this group seem to think that WD-40 is not a good product.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It's the shorter, cheaper one without a winch. I made a post extension for lifting bulky appliances and added a boat trailer winch but normally use it without them. The winch handle is dangerous.

It's mounted on crosswise beams attached to the Ranger's bed bolts, which install from above.

Spring compression and bending of the mount limit it to about 700Lbs.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

All your problems will go away if you use Kroil...

Reply to
Pete C.

I would use green marine grease on my ladders. I use green marine grease on everything. I have stored aluminum ladders outside, and they have never rusted. I think it is because of the marine grease.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are rusty.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote: I know a lot of Marines, and none of them are rusty. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Oh, really? Have you asked them anything about algebra, trig or English grammar?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Are any of them greasy, though?

Ignoramus28147

I know a couple who were engineers who are quite good in those fields. if you don't beleive me, come to Florida and ask them for yourself.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

No, iggy. They were all taught them to clean up, after a hard day's work. A skillset some others should learn.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell