Lubrication of engines??

Lubrication of engines. My son and I have complete a N scale layout. I've noticed that the "hand me down" engines he received from one set of grandparents, operate very "jumpy" and sometimes not at all, unless we take the engine of the track and work the wheels (they are old engines). Now his new engine has no problem at all with the track and runs very smoothly.

I'm assuming that there is some kind of maintenance that is needed on the engines to keep them operating properly. If there are links to web sites, that would be nice too. Any suggestions on the lubrication of the engines would be greatly appreciated.

Poway Man

poway_ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com take out the extra "_" to reply

Reply to
Poway Man

Poway=A0Man wrote: Lubrication of engines. My son and I have complete a N scale layout. I've noticed that the "hand me down" engines he received from one set of grandparents, operate very "jumpy" and sometimes not at all, unless we take the engine of the track and work the wheels (they are old engines). Now his new engine has no problem at all with the track and runs very smoothly. I'm assuming that there is some kind of maintenance that is needed on the engines to keep them operating properly. If there are links to web sites, that would be nice too. Any suggestions on the lubrication of the engines would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------------------------ Many of the very old N scale locomotives didn't perform well even when they were new!

Mark Peterson's outstanding website (N Scale Locomotive Encyclopedia) has reviews of almost every N scale locomotive ever made:

I use Labelle #108 oil and Labelle #106 lubricating grease very, very sparingly on my N scale locomotives. Aero-Car's website has instructions.

A good book, "Maintaining & Repairing Your Scale Model Trains":

Labelle:

Aero-Car:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

Poway=A0Man wrote: Lubrication of engines. My son and I have complete a N scale layout. I've noticed that the "hand me down" engines he received from one set of grandparents, operate very "jumpy" and sometimes not at all, unless we take the engine of the track and work the wheels (they are old engines). Now his new engine has no problem at all with the track and runs very smoothly. I'm assuming that there is some kind of maintenance that is needed on the engines to keep them operating properly. If there are links to web sites, that would be nice too. Any suggestions on the lubrication of the engines would be greatly appreciated.

"A Beginner's Guide to N Scale Model Railroading" by Russ Larson is one of my all-time favorites. It includes instructions with photos for lubricating your locomotives. This book is out-of-print, I believe, but still available:

One thing I failed to mention in my earlier reply is to be sure the lubricants you use are plastic compatible. The Labelle #106 and #108 are safe to use on plastic models.

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

=>I'm assuming that there is some kind of maintenance that is needed on =>the engines to keep them operating properly. If there are links to web =>sites, that would be nice too. Any suggestions on the lubrication of =>the engines would be greatly appreciated.

No, those old engines can't be made to run well, period. They are just not up to modern stnadrads in mechanical design. You can improve them some with good, lubricants like those made by AeroCar and Labelle, but the effect is limited. Besdies, taking them apart tpo get at motor bearings etc isn't that easy. Set them on a "repait track", and use them as scenery.

-- But you should get good lubricants anyhow. The brands I mentioned are the ones I like, and most important they have plastic compatible types, which are the ones you must use with model railroad equipment. Do _not_, under any circumstances, use household lubricants like 3-in-one. And do _not_ lubricate the wheels of the cars - the oil will actually add drag because of its viscosity.

Wolf Kirchmeir ................................. If you didn't want to go to Chicago, why did you get on this train? (Garrison Keillor)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Thanks for the information and links, Bill. This was what I wanted.