NWSL wheel set replacement for Athearn diesels

Does anyone have the cross-reference for NWSL #7142-4 wheel set? It looks like they have replaced their nickel-plated sets with solid nickel-silver. I checked their web site but it is not real usable... lots of .pdf's and no search capability.

I want to replace 42" wheel sets on standard Athearn diesels based on the Railmodel Journal article from Robert Higgins, October 1990 (reprinted in the book "Tuning & Upgrading Athearn Locomotives).

And if you know of a decent place to buy wheel sets on-line on-line, I would appreciate that information too.

Thanks, Kevin MacDowell

Reply to
Kevin MacDowell

I think I remember some commentary about NWSL buying lots of nickel-silver so I think that is correct, solid nickel-silver wheels.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Here is a link the NWSL Google catalog (page 111) that lists the wheels sets. They are solid nickle silver

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Nichols

I haven't checked their catalog for a while, but for some time they offered BOTH plated and solid. The plating eventually wears through, so solid is better, but more costly.

Since the coefficient of friction is less with NS wheels, the locos don't pull as well after the conversion, but get better electrical contact, and hence run smoother. It just depends on what you want.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

Much rather better electrical contact than pulling power. Nothing worse than the loco farting about. If it's has about heavy haulage one can always lash another loco into the consist :>)

Reply to
Nigel Nichols

Personally, I agreee with you.

On the other hand I've known people who have converted BACK to the original Athearn wheelsets to regain lost tractive effort. The difference IS significant, if that's your only standard of comparison. Some seem obsessed with how many cars they can pull with one unit, and , if your idea of 'slow' is 30 smph, the NS wheels don't help a lot.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

More tractive effort, more cleaning cycles. Those cintered wheels are magnificant track cleaners.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Now theres an idea Paul I might make up a multi truck cleaning car loaded with as many Athearn wheels set to drag around so they can clean the track I'm not gonna sell them now. Hehehehe Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Nichols

If they are picking up current they pick up dirt a lot faster.

I had thought about building a multi-truck flat or gon weighted a bit and driving a capacitor discharge strobe and a voltage and amp meter. If the strobe dulls down or the meters show a drop, it's time to clean the wheels. That's as far as that idea went.

Good luck *8-}

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

yes they have...i have a set right in front of me and its solid nickel silver

Reply to
Bakeman69