OT a bit - Why is DC Better for this Application

In google search to answer that question, the most discussion about DC motors was on this site. Here is the DC motor question - I sell to the healthcare market, have got a new line from a manufacturer which is powered by 4 DC motors - basically a bed that contorts into many different positions.

The "cheap" brands use 3 or 4 AC motors - the better use DC motors. There must be a reason why the higher priced units use DC. The manufacturer did not answer that question - they presume sales types don't care about such things - but somebody will ask and DUH is not the answer I want to give.

THanks - and I am not a troll -will be out next week selling these things.

Reply to
butch burton

Butch,

Speed and torque control are much better, and, assuming they are running on

12 or 24 volts, it's not likely the patient will be electrocuted should a circuit become shorted to the frame or the controller be handled with wet hands.

Dave

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

Thanks much - interesting to note all nursing home beds are AC vs almost all hospital being DC - more money for law suits at hospitals I guess. These are 24 volt units.

Thanks again.

Reply to
butch burton

Butch,

You have it backwards, the hospitals don't have money for lawsuits so they spend a little extra for DC beds, don't need to do the staff in either!!!

Dave

Reply to
L.Hamilton Silkitis

What I meant was they have more money and that is why lawyers are more apt to sue - can't get blood from a turnip.

Reply to
butch burton