Photo software

I was in my Linux class Friday night. The lesson was on desktop and OpenOffice (a MS Office clone for Linux; does MS formats). We also had to work with photo software that was native to the Gnome (pronounce the G) desktop. It's called The Gimp (GNU Image Manipulator Program). It's open source software subject to the usual GNU license (free; distribution rights, etc.). It supposedly does 95-98% of what Adobe Photoshop does, and it's available for Windows systems as well. It's available at

So ditch that pirated copy of Adobe and go with legal software.

Reply to
Jay Cunnington

Ok, I took your advice, have d/l and installed, sofar, so good. It looks like a pretty steep learning curve, esp. for someone unfamiliar w. Photoshop (me.) But there is a separate help file (26MB! - it's in several languages...) Runs well on this 800Mhz AND Duron box w/ W2K/SP4

  • latest patches.
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Try this for one idea on the uses of the gimp

You need to click the 'download entry' button under the photo.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Well, Wolf says it's ok so I'll give it a shot too.

Still like my "Ulead iPhoto Plus 4" program from 1997 best (tried and didn't care for "Photoshop" at all), went back to my old Ulead product. Less steps and same result.

But I'll give this new one a shot.

Pete > Ok, I took your advice, have d/l and installed, sofar, so good. It looks

Reply to
Pete in Calgary, Alta, GWN

WK> Keith wrote: WK> > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:57:57 -0400, Wolf Kirchmeir WK> > wrote: WK> > WK> > WK> >>

WK> >>Ok, I took your advice, have d/l and installed, sofar, so good. It looks WK> >>like a pretty steep learning curve, esp. for someone unfamiliar w. WK> >>Photoshop (me.) But there is a separate help file (26MB! - it's in WK> >>several languages...) Runs well on this 800Mhz AND Duron box w/ W2K/SP4 WK> >>+ latest patches. WK> > WK> > WK> > Try this for one idea on the uses of the gimp WK> >

Never had the GIMP freeze on my Linux machine. Not even on a slow machine that is memory starved...

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

Thanks, another reason to make the switch. :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir