plate frames v bar frams etc........

Dear all, Seeing as how this isnt quite to do with paints any longer ...... A quick word on plate frames, according to J.C.Gibson who I mentioned previously plate frames tended to crack about the horns when the loco was being lifted for maintainance due mainly it seems to not enough metal being used over the horn gaps to reinforce them in such a situation, they also cracked it seems when the springs lost their springiness and the axle boxes smacked into the frame at high velocities bending the frame and eventually cracking it at this point.(Horn gaps), he doesnt mention bar frames except in relationship to Deans pony trucks.(GWR) and as I'm not an engineer.... anyway I thought this might be of interest as JC Gibson before he became a Cof E Vicar was enmployed by the GWR as a fitter in their erecting and repair shops so he ought to know :) I assume Australian practice cant have been too dissimilar to UK practice? or am I wrong...I await the tirades with baited breath and have my garlic ready to ward off the nasty's :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I actually enjoy your posts to be truthfull ;-)

I would not be using the GWR necessaraly as a reference point for locomotive innovation as in a lot of area's they really trailed behind in their designs. But don't tell Terry Flynn that.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

Dear Gregg, both the authors I cited considered that in the beginning up to Dean atleast, that the GWR was at the forefront, but later complacency set in, these guys both had an intimate knowledge of the works and practices and indeed also some of the draughtsmen were friends, so its not heresy to say this :) I like what Terry writes actually and I wish the arguments were just a little less vitriolic, they read like when I am debating with muslims on the relative merits of Christian v islamic theology (I was educated as a theologian amongst other things)and considering that this is after all a hobby it'd be nice if we could just be nicer to each other.... insult each other more politely....(eg::you Cad sir!:::::etc) but Mark seems to have it in for Mr Flynn, on the other hand I knew a guy called Terry Flynn when I was working at Watford Jct prior to training (oooh!) as a train guard on BR.Couldnt be the same fellah! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

It is because Terry is so dogmatic is the problem. And he is a good stir to boot. As for Terry, in the past, he has accused Mark of just being a broom pusher with no qualifications and the like when the reality is that Mark was seriously involved in one of the most extensive steam locomotive restoration projects ever seen in Australia that being 3830. For Terry's info I have actually seen Mark installing new boiler stays and tubes in

3830's boiler.

Sorry Terry I had to drop your cover mate.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

When I made the broom pusher claim, that is what Newton was basically doing for 3801 ltd. At the time he did not come out and immediately correct it. Instead he tried to cover up the fact he does not have any design engineering qualifications. He did not want the world to know his real qualifications at the time was a boiler maker, that's all, 'a fitter with his brains bashed out' is what the other trades call them. Interesting he is not involved with 3830 any more. They were glad to get rid of him. My comments are justified towards Mark Newton, a person who regularly uses disgusting foul language to defame those who expose his lies.

Terry Flynn

HO wagon weight and locomotive tractive effort estimates

DC control circuit diagrams

HO scale track standards

Reply to
Terry Flynn

According to whom? Be specific, cite your sources.

Yes, I did. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story, eh, ya lying cunt?

Who gives a flying f*ck whether I have design engineering qualifications or not. The only one who gets a raging hard-on about design engineering qualifications is you, wanker. Probably the only time you get one, if the truth be known.

I never claimed to have any such thing, so suggesting that I "tried to cover up the fact" is just another f*ck-witted diversionary tactic. But since you constantly bring the subject up, what design engineering qualifications relating to steam locomotives do you have? NONE AT ALL. So f*ck off.

Oh? I'm more than happy to be known as a boilermaker, and have never made any secret of it. Far better to be a practical tradesman than an esoteric jafa* with no practical experience of the topic under discussion.

Although, it rather confirms you to be a chronic liar, when you deride me as being merely a boilermaker, after you have spent so much time and effort describing me as a "broom-pusher". Which exactly is it you claim I am again?

(*jafa; "just another f****it academic")

Only in your fevered imagination, wanker, since this is the first I've heard of such an expression. Or anyone else that I've mentioned it to. Given it sounds so lame and pathetic, I presume it's your invention.

Is it? Is it as interesting as all the other former Powerhouse/3830 volunteers who have pulled the pin? I, like others, got tired of being f***ed around by the PHM employees involved with the engine. Want to make something of it?

According to whom? Be specific, cite your sources.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Sure Mark.

Your pretending to be the expert.

More than you. You often introduce your 'qualifications' when you run out of appropriate argument.

I have more engineering design experience than you will ever have.

A rude foul mouthed under educated expert.

Their being polite.

Your problem, not mine expert.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

I bet you seen Mark there as part your tour of large erecting which was a side show to the modelling the railways of NSW convention of 2002. Have you ever thought that the day of your tour might have been a general clean up day? Have you ever thought of that. Or doesn't that suit your arguement?

That is the first time I have heard that and BTW both my brother and father (retired) are fitters. It sounds to me like you have a very over active imagination.

Terry, You really are such a boy!! If you want to do something constructive why dont you put your energies in to exposing the vested interests in the model railway scene where a promotion and brand loyalty scheme is masked as "helping your fellow modellers". And do you think that such people who have interests both owning and employed in a model manufacturing/retailing company are qualified to write reviews for both their own or other manufacturers products. If you want to be usefull, heres your chance big boy. We are waiting but we are not watching.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

Fortunately, I don't recall seeing him. Doesn't change the broom pushing facts and his disgusting language, and his defamatory remarks to many who de disagrees with.

Clearly they did not communicate with the same tradesmen as I did.

Reply to
Terry Flynn

Then I think you will agree that getting your info from 2nd hand sources is a pretty silly thing to do. If I recall correctly is that it was you that decided to open a flame war with Mark and other players that worked on 3801 and 3830. That is one of the things why Mark is dirty with you.

My Brother works in a dockyard that repairs the ships that you used to work on in one of your previous lives.

Reply that was in your sig

You have used a fair bit yourself Matey.

For better or for worse the NMRA is pretty much the standards that we have for HO but thats not to say that things can/should be improved.

I think that you should be looking at approaching the NMRA etc and go and join/form a sub committee to work on some new updated standards. I know that not all of your ideas will get up but you never know, some might. Go forth and be usefull. How about trying to form an Australian Proto-HO (ala Proto-4 in the UK) group that implements standards like what you propose.

That is a problem that can happen if not tightly controlled, with any media outlet that accepts advertising.

In "MY" dealings with Mark. I have found him to be polite and honest. But one thing I have learnt long ago is that he doesn't suffer fools. I dont know what your problem is, but for everyones sake just get over it and build a bridge. As you are not really contributing anything of interest here.

Reply to
Greg Rudd

snip.

I am so sorry that you are that thin skined as you seem to have a problem dealing with fact. Do I need to provide you with goggle group URLs to back up my point of view. Which will probably go back to the late 1990's

I was further agreeing with your point.

True. Also another thing in play to would be that each prototype system would have different designs and geometry for their turnouts. So in reality no commercially available turnouts are truly scale. A good example would be to look at AAR standard design turnouts and compare them to NSWGR designs.

Fair enough I am more than happy to move on.

Provide examples, with google group urls.

But yet you continue to so. Whats good for the geese is good for the gander!! Agree.

What, so you are now a moderator??? *Bully* *for* *you!!*

Please provide examples of my "foul language" with google group urls. I do not recall that I have used any four letter words. But if it satisfies you, I am happy to play ball.

Reply to
Greg Rudd