Re: Byron Creek site updated

Against other passenger engines in use at the time the U with a set of Jackson and Sharp cars beat the existing record for Sydney-Eskbank and return by aprox 10-15 min. With the equalised design of both the leading bogie and driving wheels caused far less wear and tear on the track than the ridgid British designs that were in use on the NSWGR at the time. As to the both the little and big J's they for their time totaly changed the way freight trains were operated in this state.

If the Baldwin > 4-4-0 is lighter, then it can not pull more than a heavier 12 class > locomotive. >

Are you talking in theory or in practice?? As a loco with a certain tractive effort with a small grate and evaporate surface area is not going to produce that tractive effort over a long period of time compared to a steam engine with a large grate and evaporative surface area rated at the same tractive effort.

The long smoke boxes were not much better on these earlier > engines, because on later designs our engineers continued with UK > practice.

That is such a stupid statement.

If you care to note that a number of 12 class and 17 class engines for that matter had their smoke boxes extended so as to prevent tubes blocking under hard steaming. Dont be stupid or are you just saying this to shit stir hoping to get a response from Mark Newton.

The same goes for frames and cabs, sticking with UK practice, > which produced a lower maintenance cab and stronger mainframes. As for the > J class, when a new 2-8-0 was designed by the NSWGR, the engineers said > the T was a > combination of the best UK and US ideas. Again it had a steel cab, not a > high maintenance to hot for NSW wooden cab.

Yes but would *you* want to work in an exposed cab like what the 12 class was when introduced??? I think not. By stating the above opinion on loco cabs you really show your lack of knowledge on the conditions that railwaymen of the time had to operate.

The difference in grate area > of both 2-8-0 locomotives was minimal and UK practice of plate frames, > inside valve chests and short smoke box was continued.

In other words you are saying that the J's influenced the design of 50 class.

Remember we are interested in what you know, not what you don't know which appear to enjoy showing us.

Reply to
Greg Rudd